Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on my way to see my fiance' on Tuesday night, driving over Tollgate pass in Eastern Oregon. This hiway is heavily traveled by school buses, familys, semi trucks etc. I was baffled to see 1/2 a dozen truck/carloads of people "roadhunting" on this major hiway. Guys stopped on the shoulder, covered in camo, standing next to their Pontiac Grand Ams, bow in hand with an arrow nocked ready to fling an arrow at whatever they saw on the side of the road. There were also a few trucks cruising slowly down the hiway with camo clad bowhunters in the back end ready to shoot at a moments notice. Now this isn't some forest service road or back country gravel raod. This is a mojor travel route. My question is, whether we agree with this practice or not, is this how we want our selves portrayed as bowhunters, sportsmen, conservationists? How do we look as a whole, to the community at large when they see bowhunters running down the side of the road? I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just get opinions...Any thoughts??.................................PUG

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
IMHO roadhunting isn't hunting, it's more of a drive by shooting. I think it's the lazy way out for losers with no hunting skills. I also think it puts us in a bad light. However if it's legal in your area (I don't think it is in most) who am I to judge any legal method of taking game?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I agree with Panzer!!!! Where I grew up in eastern NC, and we would see people standing on the side of a road with rifles and shotguns waiting for the dogs to run a deer out to them. I know that dog running is a large part of our southern heritage, however I do not like it, or agree with it. That is just my opinion, and I do not mean to make anyone upset over it!!!! I have always felt that the people on the side of the road "hunting" is what the majority of the nonhunters think we are all like. I feel it gives hunting a bad name over all.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The roadhunting you described is not hunting. I have been in camps where running dogs were pushing deer across roads while the hunters would fling the rifle shots for a hopeful kill and ended up with a lot of injure or lost hits. I personally don't like it. I would rather hunt stalking or in a stand for the undisturbed deer with sticks and strings. Road hunters remind me of the city slickers hunter wannebees.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttt

Any others????

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Pug..
Hunting from a public roadway is not legal in Texas, and I never hesitate to phone them in to the local law or Highway Patrol....

It's as easy as 911 from your cell....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The area that Pug described is one of my home hunting areas and yes that is unfortunatly a common occurrance in the area...

Ultimatly I think it's just pure laziness...If you don't want to take the time to get off the road, hike and get out into the woods...why even bother hunting at all...you've missed the point of the experience.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am from the south. We have a long tradition on our state of dog hunting, as many others do. In the distant pass, road hunting was accepted and allowed. This was done with rifles. This was very common and was in no way illegal at the time. Since then rules have been created to protect hunters and the public in general.

I think road hunting is dangerous. It is also lazy.

But I am confused. These guys were hunting with bows off the road? You have got to be kidding me? Have any of you tried to shoot a running deer with a rifle? I can't imagine standing on the road waiting for a deer to cross holding a bow. And what are the chances of a deer crossing the road close enough for you to get a shot. Sounds like laziness but mostly stupidity.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YES!!

They were "bowhunting" on the road. That evening, I watched a white chevy pickup pull over about 150 yds down the road. A man jumped out and into the back end of the pickup, bow in hand. Then the truck flipped a u-turn in the road and proceeded slowly in the opposite direction! They had obviously seen something on the side of the road and were intent on shooting it from the pickup. What is this crap??. Bowhunting?? Not in my book..................PUG

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Pug

Let me ask you this; if you witnessed this road hunting, and it is in fact illegal in your state, did you make a call and report it? And if you didn't why not....?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well....

It was reported when I got to a phone...Unfortunately, I don't have a cell phone so I couldn't call until i got to my fiance's house on the other side.......I'll be driving over that pass again tonight, and i guess I will be making some more phone calls when I get home.........That is truly the sad thing, we cannot trust all bowhunters to do what is right and legal. Many of them do not underdstand they are doing more than representing themselves while they are in view of the public.....................PUG

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good job PUG. You have the right idea. They do give the hunting community a bad name.

That is all we need to have on the evening news.

Report what you know is wrong and teach your children how to be responsible with hunting and life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts