Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Other (comment in thread)

Votes: 3 25.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 1000' of road frontage that is mostly open to my CRP field that I am in the process of improving the native WSG's on. I want to have additional insulation for the deer out and visibility from vehicles and the rest of the world looking in. I am considering planting two staggered rows of Miscantus Gigantus and/or transplanting 2-300 Eastern Red Cedar.

Who has experience with this?
Were you happy with the result?
What would you have done different?
GO!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Not experienced in the Miscanthus but we have used two rows of white pines for privacy blinds, they grow fast and create a good blind in just a few years.

·
Registered
630 Posts
We planted 3 rows of white pine with two rows of willows about 9-10 years ago to block our 7 acre corn field from the road after we found a giant headless deer laying in the field. The willows grow much faster than the pine and are very bushy to block views. The willows are probably 20-30’ tall now and block the field entirely. The plan is to cut the willows once the pines are large enough to block the field alone. Also, the bucks rub the heck out of the willows every year

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We planted 3 rows of white pine with two rows of willows about 9-10 years ago to block our 7 acre corn field from the road after we found a giant headless deer laying in the field. The willows grow much faster than the pine and are very bushy to block views. The willows are probably 20-30’ tall now and block the field entirely. The plan is to cut the willows once the pines are large enough to block the field alone. Also, the bucks rub the heck out of the willows every year
What kind of willows did you plant? I found this... looks like it could work well.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Arborvitae are pretty fast growing border trees as well. Also late in season deerbwill browse on the soft leaves (needles) better than the prickly cedar leaves(needles). Last day of muzzleloader in Ohio last year my dad watched 2 giants feeding on his that cover his septic. He wouldn’t shoot them.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
My brother planted two rows of ERC as a shelter belt, in western Ks.These trees were less than a foot tall when planted. It took about 10 years for them to be tall enough to provide good visual blockage like I think you are looking for. And he did water them some and killed weeds around them to preserve moisture.
He has 320 acres of pasture next to these trees and there are zero ERC trees coming up in that pasture. That pasture is grazed every year for six months.
However there is a CRP field in the other direction a quarter mile away. There are a few ERC s popping up in that field. They are less than 2’ tall and not difficult to control. One could easily kill all those small trees in a half day every couple years.
This area has an annual rainfall of about 18-20”. I suspect higher rainfall would result in more invasion by these trees.
In this area, west central Kansas, the ERC is a reasonable tree for what you are attempting to accomplish. And it does make good winter cover for pheasants and other wildlife in severe weather. I don’t know if it would be a good option for you.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I would go with what was said above. Plant 2 rows of willows and 2-3 rows of white pines and cut the willows once the pines are old enough to provide cover.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
We have done white pines. It works pretty good, but the lower limbs kind of thin out. It takes quite a few years for that to happen, but it will. So now we do a strip of Egyptian wheat behind the pines. Its a type of sorghum, and gets about 10 feet tall. Deer feed on the inside of that, and dont even raise their head when a car goes by. Of course thats a yearly thing to plant, but its no big deal since we are planting the field anyway.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I stagger two rows of white pines, Norway spruce and white cedar mixed along with planting switch and bluestem grass around trees. And I do not mow, it defeats the purpose and grasses and weeds help protect trees some from browsing and rubbing.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Fence.

Plant cover like that it will just draw the deer to the roadside...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Arborvitae are pretty fast growing border trees as well. Also late in season deerbwill browse on the soft leaves (needles) better than the prickly cedar leaves(needles). Last day of muzzleloader in Ohio last year my dad watched 2 giants feeding on his that cover his septic. He wouldn’t shoot them.
I would second the arborvitae. Relatively cheap, fast-growing, and they fill in well. Two rows of those and no one will see anything from the road.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would second the arborvitae. Relatively cheap, fast-growing, and they fill in well. Two rows of those and no one will see anything from the road.
Never heard of Arborvitae ...... Ill have to check that out.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay those things look awesome. do you happen to know the best place to buy some?

·
Registered
157 Posts
A quick online search found a few options.

http://mikesbackyardnursery.com/2012/01/missouri-backyard-nurseries/ I don't know how close this one is to you, but it's pretty cheap. Likely small plants, but they grow quickly.

https://www.thetreecenter.com/evergreen-trees/arborvitae-trees/ More expensive, but likely larger plants to start.

I know Lowes and Home Depot sell them every year. You could check with your local conservation district (county government agency), too. Many of them plant windbreaks and such and might have them for relatively cheap. They may even plant them for you, for a price. You can Google options closer to you, too.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A quick online search found a few options.

http://mikesbackyardnursery.com/2012/01/missouri-backyard-nurseries/ I don't know how close this one is to you, but it's pretty cheap. Likely small plants, but they grow quickly.

https://www.thetreecenter.com/evergreen-trees/arborvitae-trees/ More expensive, but likely larger plants to start.

I know Lowes and Home Depot sell them every year. You could check with your local conservation district (county government agency), too. Many of them plant windbreaks and such and might have them for relatively cheap. They may even plant them for you, for a price. You can Google options closer to you, too.
MDC is sold out unfortunately.
I have unlimited number of ERC's and mescanthus I can transplant for free. I believe I will go that route.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts