Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and didn't see the answer but maybe overlooked it...
First time RCH user here. I just bought a Petzl Gym style harness and a Beal 50cm Dynaclip. I will be using this with a Treestand Wingman descender.
First time out in the tree I realized that I need the tether length between the harness and the Wingman to be longer to keep the Wingman metal components away from the treestand. 6" to 12" longer would be good and adjustable would be great but not a deal breaker. I have the Dynaclip connected to the harness with a girth hitch which I would like to eliminate too if possible as it interferes with the buckle on my pack causing it to partially release. (I cold just not wear it to the tree I suppose) I would prefer to not have any metal at the attachment point of the harness but could possibly work out a way to silence the metal.
I have these two ropes that I bought some time ago, larger diameter orange I bought to make a linesman belt so I believe it is static climbing rope but cannot recall the exact details. It is the same diameter as all of my lifeline ropes. The smaller rope I believe is actually called cord and it was purchased along with several pieces of static rope to make lifelines with and again I cannot recall the exact details about the cord, I just know the climbing supply place I bought it from said to make my prusik knots with it.

Rope Knot Close-up Pattern Fiber

Having said all that, what are some options either with these ropes I have or others or by other means to make my tether longer and possibly adjustable?

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
As far as a tether I used Muddy lifeline, I wouldn’t use any rope that was not lifeline rope, there’s too much on the line. There is no need for anything else for shock because with the Wingman it will give. I have tested this many times.

·
Registered
26,142 Posts
When I started using an RC harness, I bought a PMI rope teather with a sewn loop at each end. I believe mine is 24" but there were other options in length at that time. I use a climbing rated locking caribiner to attach it to my RC harness waist webbing and also to my Q-safe when using my Cougar Claw climber. The Wingman is a nifty device, but I haven't gone that direction.....at least yet.....with the Q-safe system.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts fellas.
1canvas, are you saying you made a tether from a Muddy lifeline buy cutting a piece of the lifeline or you are somehow using a Muddy lifeline deployed as a lifeline and a tether? Sorry but I am not following you.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I did a search and didn't see the answer but maybe overlooked it...
First time RCH user here. I just bought a Petzl Gym style harness and a Beal 50cm Dynaclip. I will be using this with a Treestand Wingman descender.
First time out in the tree I realized that I need the tether length between the harness and the Wingman to be longer to keep the Wingman metal components away from the treestand. 6" to 12" longer would be good and adjustable would be great but not a deal breaker. I have the Dynaclip connected to the harness with a girth hitch which I would like to eliminate too if possible as it interferes with the buckle on my pack causing it to partially release. (I cold just not wear it to the tree I suppose) I would prefer to not have any metal at the attachment point of the harness but could possibly work out a way to silence the metal.
I have these two ropes that I bought some time ago, larger diameter orange I bought to make a linesman belt so I believe it is static climbing rope but cannot recall the exact details. It is the same diameter as all of my lifeline ropes. The smaller rope I believe is actually called cord and it was purchased along with several pieces of static rope to make lifelines with and again I cannot recall the exact details about the cord, I just know the climbing supply place I bought it from said to make my prusik knots with it.

View attachment 7483309
Having said all that, what are some options either with these ropes I have or others or by other means to make my tether longer and possibly adjustable?

Hard to tell from the pics, but I think the dark green rope you have is called accessory cord, and indeed is used for Prusic knots etc.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
It's worth considering using dynamic safety slings to anchor yourself as they stretch under stress. This will take a lot of the punch out of any fall. As for clamps and karabiner noise, I wrap eighth inch thick, self adhesive neoprene tape on mine to deaden any noise (you can get it on amazon).
Always use screw lock karabiners on anchor connections and remember one anchor is an act of faith, two is better, three is best.

·
wolfey
4,237 Posts
It's worth considering using dynamic safety slings to anchor yourself as they stretch under stress. This will take a lot of the punch out of any fall. As for clamps and karabiner noise, I wrap eighth inch thick, self adhesive neoprene tape on mine to deaden any noise (you can get it on amazon).
Always use screw lock karabiners on anchor connections and remember one anchor is an act of faith, two is better, three is best.
Dynamic rope is good if you fall a good distance but is not needed for treestand use. I've yet to see tethers made by hunting companies use it. We're not rock climbing where you could fall 10 feet so having more pieces to the system just complicates the whole thing and adds more metal carabiners to deal with. I've fallen twice with my system and it didn't hurt at all.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
Dynamic rope is good if you fall a good distance but is not needed for treestand use. I've yet to see tethers made by hunting companies use it. We're not rock climbing where you could fall 10 feet so having more pieces to the system just complicates the whole thing and adds more metal carabiners to deal with. I've fallen twice with my system and it didn't hurt at all.

I agree. I have tested falls using an HSS tree rope and there was no bad shock with a rock climbing harness, and even less with the Treestand Wingman. But I wouldn’t use a full body harness without using the Wingman.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts

·
wolfey
4,237 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use a HSS tree strap that I can make some adjustments with above the tether but no way to adjust the sling. Since I made that post, I have been doing some reading on the dyneema slings and not liking what I am seeing. Think I will return it. I was using a girth hitch to connect the dynaclip to my harness. I bought a carabiner with the sling and if I use the carabiner with the dynaclip I gain about 6" of tether length so maybe I can just use that setup. I will give it a go this weekend and see if it is sufficient. I am only having issues when sitting in a ladder stand. In my climber it is not a problem.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
How do you adjust it to take up slack?

You don't, they come in different lengths though. Probably best to take a selection with you and pick the ones that best fit each application.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts