Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this entry hole on a 127 lb. doe I shot last night. I'm using rocket buckblasters (fixed blades not installed). This mechanical head has a 2-3/4 cutting diameter in the open position. Shot it with my 70 lb Hoyt SuperTec using a 365 gr. arrow at 318 fps. Shot her about 5-8 yards from my tree with my stand close to 16-17 feet high which gave me fairly sharp shot angle. The doe ran about 40 yards before falling over.

Caveman

Attachments

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
big hole and congrats on the doe
rob k

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Caveman...

Didn't anyone tell you that mechanicals are no good? ;) :D :p

Congratulations! What time is supper? :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ccwilder3

No, there wasn't an exit wound. Because of circumstances of the hunt, I had to take a shot closer to the shoulder than I would have liked and the head went through part of the shoulder blade, which I'm sure absorbed a lot of energy. When field dressing, I found the point was touching the opposite side just slightly up from the brisket. Even though there wasn't a pass through, I had a substantial amount of blood for tracking if needed. But when the deer only makes it 40 - 50 yards there isn't much tracking to do. This is the second year I've used this head and have had good success so far. I harvested two deer last year and neither made it out of sight. I also used it for spring turkey hunting this year with good success(see previous post) . You do need a bow capable of producing higher kinetic energy levels. My SuperTec is delivering an arrow with close to 82 foot-pounds of energy. I wouldn't want to go much lower.
The only thing I don't like about the heads is the fact that I can't get the screws out to change the blades.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts