Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering which mechanical is better. Rocket steel head (or mini blaster) or hypershock. What do yall think?

·
Registered
777 Posts
I use the 100 grain Rocket Steelheads and haven't had any problems. I've killed a few deer with them and haven't had any bad experiences.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Steelhead, Miniblaster, and Hypershock, and I would use them in that order. The Steelhead has proven to be a very reliable and tough mechanical. The Miniblaster is slower to open with its longer blades, and I have bent a ferrule before on a turkey. I just don't like the Hypershock. The delayed opening design creates a tiny entry hole, and the huge cutting diameter increases the odds of not passing through. Small entry holes and no pass thru equals a tough trail. The small heads in the Hypershock line up may be more reliable, but I don't like smallish 2 blade cuts. They have the potential to create a weak blood trail. Though 2 3/4" of cut in a 2 blade design has to be devastating internally, a deer can cover a lot of country in a few seconds. In thick cover, if you don't get an exit, the blood trail is going to be tough to non existant. I really like the Steelhead 125 verses the 100. It has a longer tip, and slightly longer blades. One other note about the Miniblaster. Using the Pathfinder tip on them really seems to weaken the ferrule. I think it creates a lot more force by acting as a lever. The only ferrules I have bent always had the Pathfinder tip on them. I have never bent one with the regular chisel tip. A turkey absolutely destroyed a miniblaster on me this season. The ferrule isn't just tweaked, it looks like I put it in a vise and smacked it with a 2 pound sledge.

A lot of guys in the HS camp say you don't need a trail when you can see the deer fall, but I am not putting all my eggs in that basket. The woods where I hunt are THICK. It is real easy to lose a deer with a decent blood trail, and would be flat out impossbile with a skimpy trail.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Ashadow315 said:
Steelhead, Miniblaster, and Hypershock, and I would use them in that order. The Steelhead has proven to be a very reliable and tough mechanical. The Miniblaster is slower to open with its longer blades, and I have bent a ferrule before on a turkey. I just don't like the Hypershock. The delayed opening design creates a tiny entry hole, and the huge cutting diameter increases the odds of not passing through. Small entry holes and no pass thru equals a tough trail. The small heads in the Hypershock line up may be more reliable, but I don't like smallish 2 blade cuts. They have the potential to create a weak blood trail. Though 2 3/4" of cut in a 2 blade design has to be devastating internally, a deer can cover a lot of country in a few seconds. In thick cover, if you don't get an exit, the blood trail is going to be tough to non existant. I really like the Steelhead 125 verses the 100. It has a longer tip, and slightly longer blades. One other note about the Miniblaster. Using the Pathfinder tip on them really seems to weaken the ferrule. I think it creates a lot more force by acting as a lever. The only ferrules I have bent always had the Pathfinder tip on them. I have never bent one with the regular chisel tip. A turkey absolutely destroyed a miniblaster on me this season. The ferrule isn't just tweaked, it looks like I put it in a vise and smacked it with a 2 pound sledge.

A lot of guys in the HS camp say you don't need a trail when you can see the deer fall, but I am not putting all my eggs in that basket. The woods where I hunt are THICK. It is real easy to lose a deer with a decent blood trail, and would be flat out impossbile with a skimpy trail.
Very well said. I concur :)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I've used Steelhead 100's for years with devastating results. This year I am using Blazer vanes so to make up the 22 grains I lost with lighter vanes I am going to use Steelhead 125's. I can only assume the results will be fantastic!

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
As everyone else has already said, the Rocket Steelheads are the best choice! They are an awesome b-head that will compare or exceed any other b-head in the industry for accurate flight and pure penetration! Best of luck to ya this fall.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I would not use either of those heads. I used th mini blaster a few years ago and I have to change the blades after every shot. I have several 75gr. very cheap, if your interested PM me. I switched to the spitfire 100gr. I dont believe they open all the time. I have read threads regarding those hypershocks. I would go with a fixed. They fly like a field tip. Why have all those moving parts that may fail?

·
Registered
23,626 Posts
Rocket anyhead over Hypershocks...........

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
#1 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Dustin_Drews
Registered User Join Date: Oct 2003

Hypershocks if you shoot them please read this!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello gents, I just wanted to let you know the problems I have had with my hypershocks! I have shot 2 deer this year with them this year and neather was recovered!
The first was a buck at 35 yards I shot it looked like a good hit! The arrow was recovered within 5 feet of impact? it only went in 2 inches and the broadhead broke off in the shaft? I chalked it up to a bad shot on my part? Even though when I played it in my head it looked good!
The second was a doe we cought her on video tape she was only 22 yards away via leupold rx 3 range finder, the arrow found its mark shot looked good right threw her shoulders me and my wife thought she would have fallen within 50 yards.
Got down after about 30 min not a drop of blood could be found we circled and circled and circled we followed the trail we seen her take into the woods and nothing. The patch of timber we were hunting was small maybe 3 acers. We called it quits after about 3 hours and went home to watch the videp you could see it hit her in the shoulder then you loose track of it do to the poor camera video. But the shot looked like a dead deer!
I am shooting a Mathews Apex 7 set at 70 pounds with 29 1/2 inch Easton 340 Full Metal Jackets with 125 grain tips total arrow wieght was 512 grains, threw the chrono i was getting 255 fps. Is it me or should that of blew threw her like a train threw a tunnel?
I looked at the one of the extra broadheads to hopefully find some answers? I They have a releif cut into the shoulder infront of the threads that looks like way to much material was removed. Plus it is to close the front of the broadhead! To test its stregth I tried bending it with a couple pairs of pliers it snapped like a tooth pick? I am thinking when it hit the shoulder bone it just snaps off I will show you pics if you want if you dont beleive me try it for yourself it is just hardened aluminum!
I dont want this to become a bashing thread just my experiance with them! I bought some 3 blade Montecs that are built from one piece of stainless steel metal I dont see how I could get stronger then that? I would be happy to answer any of your questions! But for the animals sake please think it over.
Semper Fi
Dustin Drews

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just bought a pack of Rocket Hammerhead 100gr to try(I shoot Muzzy). First experience with expandables and I have to say Im liking them alot. Big cut with field point accuracy in my experience so far ...think Im goin to give em a shot this year!

Adam

·
Registered
715 Posts
AdamG said:
I just bought a pack of Rocket Hammerhead 100gr to try(I shoot Muzzy). First experience with expandables and I have to say Im liking them alot. Big cut with field point accuracy in my experience so far ...think Im goin to give em a shot this year!

Adam
Where did you get those at the hunt-n-shak!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Oh, sry had to post someting to the louisa guy since he's my neighbor.....but back to this thread Ron Don't base your opinion off of someone elses opinion....Have you ever shot one of ours? Thats what I though.....Go back and read what I put on that guys thread...And if you further more need to test come on out here and have at it....I have plenty and your only 45 minutes away......I believe most was exaggerated but lets get back to this thread! I say Hypershocks.......I am a Expandable Guy.....I have shot almost all of the expandables and Only Hooked up Aftershock Last year After doing Test and shooting and feild testing! My opinion( which I know Everyones got one) Is shoot one of each into a peice of 1/2 in Plywood with sharpend blades. That will show you the Strength, and durablity of the Head and the Blades, And if the blades will break on impact witha hard Object, How sharp the blades will be after going through a hard Object!.....Hypershocks....Go through object without damage to the blades becouse they deploy on the oppsite side of the board. And they will be sharp Upon deployment becouse they are held internally until they pass the entrance of the object unto which you are shooting it into!.....But wait until the January 2007 ATA then we can appeal to some more of you hunters.....and ya'll can find something else wrong with why you don't like aftershock with not even shooting them!!!!
Jack

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nope got em at Dick's in Short Pump. The Hunt N Shak is a nice place tho!

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
hobbie24 said:
I was wondering which mechanical is better. Rocket steel head (or mini blaster) or hypershock. What do yall think?
I think I'd stay home :pukey:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts