Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot a javelina in South Texas last Saturday. The Rocket sliced through the front shoulder and penetrated the javi "lengthwise" and exited out the rear hindquarter. Javi ran 15 yards and died within seconds. One of the blades was bent. Otherwise, the head survived beautifully. I intend to replace the bent blade, check the other two for sharpness, and reuse.

Going hog & deer hunting tomorrow near Mason, TX in the hill country. (Whatever presents itself first.) Will let you know how they do for me there. So far, they are looking good! See ya.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm not the least bit surprised - and congrats!!! My Steelhead 100's blow through 200 to 250lb whitetails like they're nothing!!! I'd replace all 3 blades after any shot, though - and maybe sharpen "once used" blades before re-use only if I needed to press them back into service... Steelhead replacement blades usually only cost around $6 for re-blading 3 heads... I've got 12 broadhead tipped arrows going into this season,and blades for 6 more - if I EVER get through all of them, and I haven't filled a COUPLE of freezers, I'm calling it quits for the year!!!!!

- georgestrings

·
Registered
17 Posts
DT,

About how many pounds did the javelina weigh? Do they have gristle plates around their shoulder like wild boars? What ft-lbs and speed and weight arrow did you use? Did you sharpen the blades any before use or were they “out of the pack”.

I know I hit you with a ton of questions. If you have time to answer, I would appreciate the opportunity to learn. I plan on going after wild pigs with 125 gr Steelheads, and want to compare to my setup to be sure I have enough. I want to make the transition of the pig from a living animal to food for my family as quick as possible.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FL Swamp Hunter said:
DT,

About how many pounds did the javelina weigh?
About 30.

Do they have gristle plates around their shoulder like wild boars?
No.

What ft-lbs and speed and weight arrow did you use?
275 fps with a 28" Beman ICS HUnter.

Did you sharpen the blades any before use or were they “out of the pack”.
Fresh out of the pack.

I know I hit you with a ton of questions. If you have time to answer, I would appreciate the opportunity to learn.
No problem, I'm happy to help ya. ;)

I plan on going after wild pigs with 125 gr Steelheads, and want to compare to my setup to be sure I have enough. I want to make the transition of the pig from a living animal to food for my family as quick as possible.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark, just make sure you have a quartering away shot on any really large boars. Their shield is tough to penetrate for ANY head. Good luck!!

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DeerTexas said:
Going hog & deer hunting tomorrow near Mason, TX in the hill country. (Whatever presents itself first.) Will let you know how they do for me there.
Another outstanding performance! I got a 12 yard shot at an unsuspecting fallow doe. She was slightly quartering to me, so I aimed slightly behind and tight against her front shoulder. The arrow blew completely through the doe and I watched her fall within 40 yards. I found my arrow about 30 yards past where she had been standing, covered in crimson. The haed had one bent blade (for penetration purposes as stated above). Other than that, the head was in perfect condition. I will replace the bent blade, check the other two for sharpness, and shoot it again.

Backstraps-R-Us! :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
Thanks DT.I'm changing to steelhead 100 gr myself this year.Glad to know I picked a winner!!

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Nice going DT....I know you said the deer fell within 40,but hows the blood trail that she left???.Where I hunt is thick,once I shoot I don't see the critter to long.Am just curious,I'm hoping they do well in this area for me....

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nice deer - those rockets will sure do a job won't they? I had great luck using rockets last year. Great product and a great deer! When can I come down & join ya?

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KD - Anytime, bro! :)

TJ - Frankly, I wasn't too impressed with the blood trail. However, I was shooting from the ground and she was level with me. Her body cavity was filled with blood, but not much spilled. This would have happened with any head with that particular shot. I am sure that a shot from a stand would have resulted in a massive blood trail. :)

OB - Whenever ya want! C'mon!! :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
DeerTexas - I am ready right now! Don't you run a guide service? Am I thinking of someone else?

lol - either way I am interested in those hogs & fallow deers.

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Orions_Bow said:
DeerTexas - I am ready right now!
Well c'mon!

Don't you run a guide service? Am I thinking of someone else?
Sort of. Members of DeerTexas.com are eligible to attend any of our group hunts.
http://www.deertexas.com/join.html
http://www.deertexas.com/exclusive.html
More to come soon!

lol - either way I am interested in those hogs & fallow deers.
We'll be doing a hog or exotic hunt very soon. Prices are often discounted for our group. Join & stay tuned! :)

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
been using them for years and until someone trries them they will never understand why i like them at any distance at most any angle that i choose to shoot my animals at they go do0wn quick and the head stays hard and to the point.(little pun intended). the best all around head on the market in my humble opinion. i have tested them against every fixed and mechanical i couold find or get to test and they out performed everyone but one, but it too was a rocket the ultimate steel 100 from them and it's their fixed head
rob k

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am a HUGE fan of the Steelhead 100's, having taken LOTS of deer with them... That being said, I've noticed they don't offer the best blood trail... They DO offer other advantages that outweigh the lack of a glaring blood trail - they offer feild tip accuracy, which usually equates into more consistant hits... Out of all the deer I've taken with Steelheads, I've YET to have one run more than 50 yards - so, if you make a good hit(which accuracy promotes), even in the thickest of cover, all you have to do is look in the direction the animal ran - and most likely recover it THAT way(after all, it's not that difficult to walk a 50 yard grid in even the thickest of cover)... The main thing is, to only take high percentage shots, and make them count - and an accurate flying broadhead will help you do just that - and your recoveries won't be difficult at all...

- georgestrings(still using Steelheads - after all, they've put ALOT of meat in MY freezer)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts