Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody shot animals with these heads? I bought a pack of the 100 grain heads to try this year. Just wondering what kind of blood trails y'all are getting?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Do a search on these heads, there should be quite alot of info from past threads.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I plan to use 125 grain head this year. There was a lot about lost blades from 100 grain last model heads.
So far 125 grain is bigger than 100 grain and I shot it through Block targets a few times and no blade lost. I will see.
I like how they fly and 125 grain heads machtes my arrow's weight. Well today I plan to shoot today at 3-D with this head.
I will see if I will loose any blades. If I will I will get back to 125 grain Iron Head from Barries Archery. They never failed me so far.
Look at 100 grain 4 blade from Magnus it is called Stinger.
I found the to fly perfect and they penetrate very well.
In 100 grain weight it would be my choice if you want to get maximum penetretion.
My other proven choice is TI100 grain too, but I found that 100 4 blade Stinger penetrate a bit better, than TI 100. All these broadheads are very sharp. It is important.
Vodek

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just got back from the range. I have shot new 125 grain Ultimate Steels about 30 time through McKenzie targets at distances from 15 -50 yards with great results.
No blade loss at all. I am impressed how do they fly.
On the penetration side Stinger 4 blades from Magnus looked a bit better again, then US 125 or TI100.

Vodek

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i also tested them and liked what i saw and a friend of mine owns a shop and uses them on hogs and says they will knock a hole in them and to be very careful with the blades which i found out accidently one day trying to build one. pretty sharp for just a slight touch to the blade. a little blood is okay especially if it's the nimal your hunting. i am going to try them out on some deer and hogs this year for sure.
rob k

·
Registered
812 Posts
Myself and several of my customers use the heads on hog and deer. They penetrate VERY WELL and are tuffer than nails. The blades are dangerousely sharp right out of the pack and cut very well. Blood trails have been short and good. Critters don't go far with the head put in the right spot

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Larry, why cant Rocket sharpen the blades on their other heads like the ultimate steel? Seems to me if their mechs where as sharp as the ultimate steel, it would be a match made in heaven.

·
Registered
812 Posts
The cut on the blades for the Ultimate Steel, degree that the baldes are sharpened is real long, probably longer than the
blades on the Steelhead is from top to bottom. If they blades
on the Steelhead were shrpened the same, they would be an awseome set up for sure. I think they could make the Steelhead
blades sharper

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I agree the blades could be sharper, its my only complaint about the heads. But they continue to put down game in quick fashion, so I will keep using them. Using the Slammerhead this fall.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They are good heads. Shoot em if they fly well for you. Good luck. I like them better than the Slick Tricks that Kildog likes to use. They are flimsy compared to the Steelheads.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Is it normal for the blades to be loose in the Ultimate STeels after you have shot them? I noticed that shooting them into the target, the blades were loosened. They still did not come out, but had side-to-side play in them. Both the 100 and 125 does this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are shooting with a left offset or left helical fletch, the broadhead loosens upon contact with the target. Since the blades are held tight by the compression ring at the bottom of the ferule, they may come loose if the broadhead backs out a little.

I have that same problem, but when I screw the broadhead back in a bit, they tighten up just fine. The next fletchings will be right offset for me, so that I don't need to worry about this so much.

I just started shooting these in 125gr, and they were a joy to tune in my bow. I had tried some cheap broadheads (ya ya, I know) and couldn't get them flying right to save my life. The Ultimate Steels screwed right in and 2 minutes later, I was right on the mark.

-Butler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts