Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do ya'll use the little washer that comes with the heads? I shot some Steelheads yesterday evening, and they screwed up my inserts to the point I had a tough time unscrewing them!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ouch!

Jeff

Yes use the washers!! the blades will deploy and cut into your inserts and eventually into the arrow shaft. The washers are there to stop the blades from damaging your arrow and setting up the cutting diameter.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Even the washers don't completely remove the insert damage.....I don't think I have ever shot an animal with a Rocket head (30+) that didn't damage the insert at least slightly even with the washer..........those blades just slam back so hard that it's inevitable.
They're hell on A/C/C inserts.
That said it IS a lot worse WITHOUT the washer in place! :D So use em'. ;)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!!! I have been using 4 blade Muzzy's, but wanted to try the Steelheads some this year. I will be putting them on when I get home!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Rockets

If you like the rockets try the ultimate steel line. I shoot the 100's and they fly like a dart and are very sharp. Even though they are only 7/8" cut most my deer and hogs drop within sight. I shot some of the sidewinders and even with the washer they tore my acc's up, cutting into the insert and the arrow itself.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm shooting the Axis arrows, so I need them on to keep the blades from going back to far and digging into the carbon. I do wish the washers were stronger though. I wreck them on every practice shot.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Be caertain to use the stell washers and after even one shot with them be sure to slightly rotate the washer so the blades won't break through and split into your insert/shaft. Those Steelheads are WICKED.... you'll love what they do to game!!! Good luck and good huntin'

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My biggest concern with the 100s is that I get less than two full turns of the head into the insert. Doesn't seem like alot of threads holding that head in. Anybody ever have a problem with this? Thanks!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Change your inserts to the Carbon Express brand. They have plenty of thread engagement for the Rocket Steelheads.

·
aim small, miss small
2,027 Posts
I have had the same problem with the treads on the Steel Heads. I switched to Easton Axis this year and it looks like the problem is solved.

Last year I used just a drop of blue lock tite, and no problems. It wasn't to tough to get the heads off at the end of the season.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
Jeff my buddy.............I know you're still on your honeymoon but come to your senses and shoot the Stingers, at least try em. Shoot great, leave good holes and easy to pull out of targets too and a lifetime warranty :wink:
OK I am done now.....how ya doin pal? hahhaha :wink: :shade:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.