Archery Talk Forum banner

Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

1868 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  easeup
What do you guys know about the RMEF? Can anyone who is a member tell me what they do and if it's worth joining? They do have a pretty cool Browning skinning knife that they're giving out with each membership.

Thanks.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,406 Posts
The #1 thing they do is buy property to benefit not just elk but all wildlife where otherwise it would get divided in to lots and developed. They also work with wildlife agencies to control noxious weeds, build water guzzlers, protect wintering grounds, and get youth involved in hunting and shooting, and other good things in general. I don't always agree with there standing on the use of ATV's but they do a pretty good job otherwise. I've been a member since the 90's. Also I'm just trying to give back to the wildlife I pursue.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
I was one of the first members back in '84 I believe, I just wish I hadn't been a poor college kid at the time. Then I would have gotten the Life Membership back then. I still have the first several magazines from back then, I just wish I had them all. They do a lot for land conservation for elk habitat.:thumbs_up

· Registered
10,965 Posts
I've been a member for years and think it's a first class group:thumbs_up

· Registered
2,164 Posts
Join, you will be glad you did. They do more good than I could have imagined.

· Registered
9,843 Posts
They don't just buy land, they do a lot through "easements", or whatever they call it. The land is managed for the benefit of game animals.

· Registered
16,391 Posts
Glad you brought up this thread as others have said they promote wildlife conservation along with growth of the elk herd in specific area's...thus insueing us sportsman for the elk herd's too grow and for wildlife to florish. Thank god the RMEF doesnt get involved with the political aspects regaurding the wolve's...we as sportsman need to support such independent non-profit organizations...;)

By the way if you want a knife I'll send you one...it's not about a freebie...it is about habitat and humanity!

· Registered
6,153 Posts
When they first started the RMEF it was all about habitat and the animals. I helped organize the very first banquet in NC many years ago. They still do a lot of good and I'm a member BUT: Over the last few years I see them starting to go the way of other organizations. Seems a lot of the money that could be going for buying land and habitat improvements is starting to go for fancy buildings, offices and salaries. I know it takes money to opporate but why spend millions to look fancy when a small portion of that would get the same results. And you don't need people with masters degrees and high salaries to know when a ranch comes up for sale that needs to be bought. I know there is a little more to it than that but it aint rocket science. I hope they can get back to their roots because they have done a lot of good things over the years.

· A Man for All Seasons
2,751 Posts
1st class group

oh yes my friend....what a worthy organization to be a part of. they also work well with other wildlife and habitat oriented groups and including all of the state wildlife depts; timber companies, etc.

I just returned from the annual Elk Camp in Ft. Worth this week. I met a lot of great folks and talked about everything associated with elk. I am so pumped up.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.