Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up some Rocky Mountain Sniper heads at a local garage sale. I have never shot a mechanical head, have been using G5 Montec but do not feel I can get them as sharp as I would like.
Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sniper heads. They look a lot like a Rage I am told they look so close in fact the company who produces Rage bought out the company who makes the Sniper. Which leaves me wondering if replacement blades or rubber bands are available.
As a f follow up does anyone have a reliable method for putting and keeping a sharp edge on the Montec?:

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
The Sniper is a Rage!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use the Snyper 100 gr. 2-blades. They have a great cutting power. Most of my deer didnt go 50 -60 yds. great blood trails. They are every bit as good as the rages that I use prior to. But now that the rage company bought them I cant find them anywhere anymore. Looks like I will be goin back to the rages.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
The Sniper is a Rage!
You got it backwards...The Rage is a Snyper..
Rocky Mountain Broadheads "Barrie Archery" made the Snyper years before the Rage came out...Bruce Barrie "owner of Rocky Mountain Broadheads" designed the Rage heads for Field Logic "and Field Logic bought Rocky Mountain Broadheads out". As far as using the Snypers, they are awesome heads and I've killed a ton of deer with them over the years, I dont think I've ever had one go over 60yds and they all had massive blood trails. The Snyper's are NOT in production anymore though and finding blades for them could be an issue. I bought some Rage heads when they came out because I was a huge Snyper fan and honestly I didnt think the Rage was nearly as good as the Snyper...The Snyper's were sharper, thicker blades and just seemed better made. If they would bring the Snyper's back I'd switch back to them in a heartbeat, but I cant see me switching to Rage's because there are alot of things about them that I dont care for.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Ditto what J-Daddy said. I have a few Snypers left, when they're gone it will be a sad day. Great heads.
As far as the Montecs, it seems more people have trouble getting them sharp than just about any other head, perhaps a product of the way they are made.
If they've been shot alot, start with a wide enough file to accomadate the width of the head and push the head point first down the file, one stroke per side untill your confident you have cleaned it up. (blacken the edges with a sharpie first) After the file, a fine or extra fine stone or diamond stone,or ceramic, next to no pressure, untill it looks polished. Again, one or two strokes at the most per side and flip it. Patience is a virtue with montecs.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I have been using the snyper 3 blade for several years now and really like them.. Sad to see them go. I have been buying up all the heads I can find. They were created before rage, they stay closed 100 times better than rage, have a smaller cut diameter than rage and in my opion are 10 times the head as rage. I am buying up all the sniper heads I can get my hands on. Cabeals might still have some replacement blades.

·
When's bow season start?
9,055 Posts
You got it backwards...The Rage is a Snyper..
Rocky Mountain Broadheads "Barrie Archery" made the Snyper years before the Rage came out...Bruce Barrie "owner of Rocky Mountain Broadheads" designed the Rage heads for Field Logic "and Field Logic bought Rocky Mountain Broadheads out". As far as using the Snypers, they are awesome heads and I've killed a ton of deer with them over the years, I dont think I've ever had one go over 60yds and they all had massive blood trails. The Snyper's are NOT in production anymore though and finding blades for them could be an issue. I bought some Rage heads when they came out because I was a huge Snyper fan and honestly I didnt think the Rage was nearly as good as the Snyper...The Snyper's were sharper, thicker blades and just seemed better made. If they would bring the Snyper's back I'd switch back to them in a heartbeat, but I cant see me switching to Rage's because there are alot of things about them that I dont care for.
I've never used Snypers, but I've also never heard a bad word about them, either. But I do use Revolutions, which IMO is one of the best, if not the best, mechanical broadheads ever made. Rocky Mountain made some great mechanicals in their day. I'm glad I bought a ton of them out of the AT Classifieds. I think I have 70.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Eagle Archery has snypers and replacement blades... I have some 3 blade snypers and a container of replacement blades... don't use anymore as I've switched to razor tricks... 2 of the snypers are dulled out but the screws are rusted so I can't replace the blades so I've been using them on squirrels and groundhogs...

·
182 5/8's
3,417 Posts
If I see them hangin in a shop, I buy them up, great broadhead, better than the Rage

·
TreeRatNation Lead Rat
6,859 Posts
I think the Snyper is by far a superior head to the Rage due to the more stream line furrel and the leading tip is sharper and blades seem to be thicker and tuffer..I think the 40KE Rage is kinda Field Logics way of reproducing the same BH with out saying we sorry for taking over a great broad head and leaving all you poor Snyper shooters in the cold!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I've taken many deer with them. Great mechanical. Switched to slick tricks couple years ago.

·
Registered
18,748 Posts
IMHO the best mechanical Barrie archery ever put out was the Rocky Mt. Gator. I had awesome results with these heads and crazy blood trails. They are currently offered by Bass pro shops as the Redhead Gator for $29.99 a 3 PK.

·
Registered
42 Posts
bands for snipers

I use the rubber bands from my kid's braces too. It takes a little dexterity, but I put the band on, twist it, and double it up. That holds better than the bands that came with the heads. I always thought the original bands were too loose in the first place.

·
Registered
18,894 Posts
IMHO the best mechanical Barrie archery ever put out was the Rocky Mt. Gator. I had awesome results with these heads and crazy blood trails. They are currently offered by Bass pro shops as the Redhead Gator for $29.99 a 3 PK.
yep those and the snypers blow rage away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts