Plywood 5 points
Steel Drum 6 points
Tire 4 points
Cutting diameter 1 point
Accuracy 5 points
Non-mechanical head 2 points
Blades 3 points
Total score 26 with a blade sharpness rating of A

The Rocky tradition is one impressive head. It is a basic fixed two blade head. It has a cut on contact tip that is replaceable and a cutting diameter of 15/16”. The tip acts like a bleeder blade as well as aiding in penetration.
In the plywood the tradition busted through with no problem. The only thing keeping the arrow in the board was the fletching. In the tire the head fully penetrated with several inches of arrow shaft. In the steel drum it fully penetrated BOTH sides, stopping when the fletching contacted the first side. In all the tests the head was undamaged and very useable. I found the accuracy to be outstanding, and the blade sharpness is, as I find with all Rocky Mountain heads, excellent.
The tradition is not a large head, but with the tip being placed crossways to the main blades it cuts a larger “hole” than one would expect from a broadhead this size. I would say the wound channel is a bit larger than that left by the Rocket ultimate steel. The accuracy was truly outstanding. This head grouped and shot just as well as any mechanical I have tested, at least out of a properly tuned bow. In the scoring portion of the tests I gave the Tradition a 3 for the number of blades. I know the tip is small compared to most other “bleeder blades”, but I personally feel it adds enough to the overall cutting surface to earn a point. For those interested in either the maximum amount of penetration, or that want to shoot a fixed blade head with superior accuracy, this is an excellent choice. I have tested no other broadhead that penetrates this well. It would also make a great choice for young children or lady bowhunters who may be limited in the amount of kinetic energy their setups are able to produce.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
This head looks great! I am always impressed with their quality!

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Yout h & Ladies test

Could you run some penetration tets using a 1816 XX75 x 25" inches with a 40# bow and a 35# bow?

and a Gold Tip Falcon Carbon Kids arrow @ 26" with the above head?

How about sheets of 1/8" th inch wood spaced 3 inches apart or some thing to replicate game a lady or youth might expereicne?

Perhapo a -1/16" sheet of alum

In Africa we used fins off wind mills and corroagated Tin roofing for tests

I suspect they were a Hummer for penetration

the average youth/ lady shoots 35# to 40# with a 25"/26" arrows IMHO

TINK

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks Like Rocky Mountain is giving Muzzy and Rocket a run for their money. Good Work 5Shot keep it up.

I'll submit some real life Gator XP results this Fall :)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Tink I am working on just such a test. I got the wife involved and just need to finish tuning here bow and figure out just exactly what materials I need to shoot into. This won't be an abuse type test like my normal broadhead tests, but rather a true test of penetration. My wifes bow will be pulling between 37 and 40 lbs with a 25" draw. I have not weighed the arrows yet, but they are 27" 1816's with 100 grn points shooting bullet holes in paper at 3, 8 and 15 feet. I think they are flying around 170 fps, I shot only shot one through the chrono last night before heading off to bed.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Another great job from 5shot for all of us. Thanks a lot.

When I saw this head the first time I already knew it would perform very good in your tests.

It's a very nice and tough broadhead and probably it would be my first choice if I wouldn't build my own broadheads.
So, it's my second:D .

There was a nice post in another forum these days, where somebody said:
"You can be overbowed but never overbroadheaded."
So true.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Wifes set up is normal

Hi Partner

Thanks women and kid struggle for penetration

years ago we used a 5/16" 2 balde small Black Diamond they were great

The Long narrow head liekthe steel force and Modoc warrior pentrate best The Grizzly 2 blade is the champ on most penetration ets but the smaller models do better

Your wife set up ia about normal 170 FPS is not too shabby

My ex kiled a 625 # Bull Kudu in South Africa wi a 1818 anda Modoc Warrior
2 blade forma 33# bow

Bull ran 71 yards

Arrow swent in behinfd last rib thru allguts, diaphram, liver, lungs and stuck into the poit fo theheart

33# bow abotu 20# of KE But head was shavign sharp and she shot from a 30 foot tower down so arrow got gravity working too

POPE & Young did test with fresh green deer skins filled with beef liver....... foudn Onsidian heads out penetrated steel head inthet medium

Test the 1816s and the GoldTip Falcons

they are pretty muc the standard of what women and kids hunt with the Gold Tip is a bit heavy but works fine

Test the single blade Steel Force line

TINK

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, and tips. I had not considerd the Goldtip, but will look into them. I am betting these little tradition heads will come out close to the top, but we shall see.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
5 Spot My Gold Tip I mean the Gold Tip Arrow Shaft / Arrow

Gold TipFalcon Youth Arrow - Carbons and the G old Tip Falcon is the leading Youth arrow

I was not talking about Gold Tip b- heads that suck IMO

Tink in LA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts