Archery Talk Forum banner

Rubber Boot Question

744 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  muzzy125acc
Im a scent freak, shower, dry with no scent towel, scent-lok from head to toe, dress at field, quiet in stand. Plenty of does and immatures underneath my stand, but been busted by a 150+ droptiner twice, once when I rattled him in last year on 11/10 and on opening day this year.

I thought it might be my leather Danner boots, so I bought Rubber Lacrosses this year, but the rubber smell is strong. How do you kill the smell and how big of a factor is the rubber smell.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
Good question. Im in the same boat. I just got a new pair of mucks and the rubber smell is strong. Ive already had 3 does come in, hit my scent trail, and then turn around to go back the same way they came in.

I think it just takes time and field use for the smell to wear off. Ive rubbed them in a muddy swamp bottom for a few minutes but I can still smell the new rubber and actually get a wiff of the rubber smell while up in my tree. Theres gotta be a way to get rid of it.:confused:

· Registered
3,609 Posts
Get yourself a regular pair of boots.........keep them for hunting and hunting only. Spray them down with scent killer before you enter the woods. When you take them off ,don't touch the bottom of the boots or pry them off with you stinky sweaty sock(use the edge of a step or a boot puller), and you won't have any problems.

I'm a scent freek also and thier is now way i'll wair a pair of boots that smell like glue.

To each his own I guess. I bought a pair of rubber boots and had the same problem.........i use them for fishing!

· Registered
3,609 Posts
Good question. Im in the same boat. I just got a new pair of mucks and the rubber smell is strong. Ive already had 3 does come in, hit my scent trail, and then turn around to go back the same way they came in.

I think it just takes time and field use for the smell to wear off. Ive rubbed them in a muddy swamp bottom for a few minutes but I can still smell the new rubber and actually get a wiff of the rubber smell while up in my tree. Theres gotta be a way to get rid of it.:confused:
You may try letting them bake in the sun.........I think the smell comes from the glue they use to vulcanize the rubber. Untill the glue dries 100% it will slowly leetch out between the seams.

· Broke and Happy
5,030 Posts
Wow I love this site! I had 2 issues that I was going to post topics on and they BOTH were already posted today.

I have 2 pairs of rubber boots. My Columbia boots are much nicer and they don't tend to have any smell...but my other unisulated boots are cheaper and smell like a bag of rubber bands! I have sprayed and sprayed and sprayed, still they seem to still be that way. I thought about buying a jug os scent killer and soaking them it in for a day or so. If they don't get better I am going back to my regular boots for early season hunting. If I can smell it I know deer can from a mile away!

· Registered
93 Posts
I had the same problem with my Lacrosse rubber boots last year ,deer would wind me and pick up my entry trail. I don't know of any quick fixes but next time I would buy them well ahead of the season and store them in the open.

· Registered
651 Posts
I bought some cabelas rubber boots and they also smelled a little. I have been using them and never got busted. I spray them down everytime I go out with scent spray and then put two squirts of **** urine on the bottom of each one as well as a cover. I had two does walk under my stand last week and walk right down my path I walked in and never had a clue. If I think back I think I bought my boots well before the season cuz I remember doing early scouting with them. Maybe that kind of broke them in and got rid of the smell. I have also owned them for a couple years.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
What boots should a guy go with? I don't want to use leather boots either?
I wear a pair of Wolverine Scent-Lok boots early in the season and spray them down with regular H.S. Scent Away on the outside and wear a pair of Muck boots for later in the season also spray them down really good.

· Registered
651 Posts
I bought some cabelas rubber boots and they also smelled a little. I have been using them and never got busted. I spray them down everytime I go out with scent spray and then put two squirts of **** urine on the bottom of each one as well as a cover. I had two does walk under my stand last week and walk right down my path I walked in and never had a clue. If I think back I think I bought my boots well before the season cuz I remember doing early scouting with them. Maybe that kind of broke them in and got rid of the smell. I have also owned them for a couple years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.