Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new pair of bowhunting boots and I can't decide between rubber (lacrosse burly) and a conventional (Rocky 1000gram thinsulate) pair.

The big thing for me is warmth without too much weight. Some of my treestands are nearly a mile from the truck. Pac boots are not an option.

Some of my buddies tell me that, all else being equal, rubber boots are warmer than leather or Cordura.

I've tried on a few Lacrosse boots, but they're a major pain to get off. I tried Lacrosse's new Alpha Burly (neoprene). Very comfortable, light, and easy to get off but, uninsulated. Grrrrr.

Did I mention I'm in upstate NY. It can get plenty cold here during bow season.

Help me out.

todd

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Taking my burly 800's off from a couple years ago was a nightmare, I would pull my groin trying to get em off. The twelve hundreds I bought last fall came off with ease. Very warm too, I have bad feet when it comes to the cold and these keep me warm. There not the greatest for walking in though, just my opinion. I think rocky has a 1600 gram boot with the suppresent(spelling??) outsole, I might give them a shot this year...

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Boots

When it got cold last year I put my Rocky on, not rubber but leather with rubber sole. Saw lots of deer and they crossed my tracks several times, never spooked??

I am considering a pear of lacrose burly but also remember how good my regular rockys worked. I guess I will have to wait and see. Like a comfy boot.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Try the Muck boots. I will have a pair before fall. I'm not sure if it'll be the Fieldmaster or Woody Max rubber boots, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about them.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I wear the Burleys but I always get a size and half too big. That give me an air pocket for insulation and easier off and on. If you get them in the "right size" they are a pain in the you know what to get off...

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am glad to see I am not the only who had troble with lacrosse boot I got them a size to big and they were tought to get on and almost impossible to get off. for turkey hunting this year I got some bass pro 3 ply stretch rubber boots .Big improvement

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
i use rubber boots year round for hunting. they are easy to take care of and really are warm. i use the uninsullated wolverines for the warmer part of the year and then in the winter months i go with the 1200 gram thinsulate wolverines. they are the best for the money and last. i have used these boots for almost 5 years with no wear noted and they don;t cost you a 100 bucks or more like some of the others do and the non insullated cost less than 40 bucks. very good quality
rob k

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Todd,

I hunt upstate NY as well (I live in Chatham). I buy Cabelas $29 rubber wellingtons. These boots have 200grams of thinsulate and that is plenty for most days. The Lacrosse boots are way to heavy and clunky, except the Grange which I like also, but it has no insulation.

I would pay $100 for rubber boots that were any better, but I haven't found them yet. I must have a rubber boot that I can "feel" the ground in, because I use the same boots for tracking in Maine and New Hampshire. I have used these boots for about 7 years now. Trust me, give them a try and you will be glad you did.

As for warmth, you are never going to find a rubber boot that is as warm as a Rocky Pac. I have hunted in mine when it gets down around 0, but it is not comfortable. 20-30 is OK. It helps to take a peice of foam (like a foam hunting seat) with you and put it under your feet so that the metal treestand doesn't "suck" all the heat out of your feet while your on stand. You would be surprised what a difference that alone will make.

BTW- check out my website sometime, I have tons of NY pics on there. Good Luck.

Paul Flint

·
NRA Life Member
1,225 Posts
Todd, I have a pair of lacrosse burleys 1300 thin. and a pair of rocky's with 600 thin. I like them both but if I to choose one, I would take the rocky's ..:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I wear rubber boots year round. I have a pair of unisulated Rocky's in a discontinued model and I have a pair of Cabela's Ankle Fit 800s for the winter. The only complaint I would note is that they are not the most comfortable for walking. If you are going to walk more than 3 miles then you might want something more comfortable. Also, rubber boots do not breath. So when it is hot your feet will really sweat inside, and when it is cold you have to be careful not to sweat while walking to your stand or your feet will just freeze when you are sitting still. However, I have decided to live with these complaints. Since I started wearing rubber boots, I have really seen a lot more deer.

JJ

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Wear what is comfortable for you. I don't beleive there is that much difference with the rubber boots for scent control. They do better keeping you dry.

·
When's bow season start?
9,022 Posts
I'm not a big fan of rubber boots. To me, they ae nowhere near as comfortable to walk in as all-leather. leather-Cordura or leather-rubber boots are. I have two pairs of leather-Cordura boots: a 200-gram insulated pair from Cabela's and a 600-gram pair by Wolverine. Both are Gore-Tex waterproof, warm and easy on the feet. I also have a pair of heavy-duty leather-rubber pacs by Cabela's (made by Sorel) that, while heavy, keep your feet warm in frigid weather.

As long as you never wear them unless hunting, I don't think they are any worse than rubber for scent control. In fact, most rubber boots I have checked out really stink like rubber. If I can smell it, how can the deer NOT smell it, too? I will agree they will not pick up outside scents as much as leather, but keep 'em clean and stored in an airtight container and leather boots are good to go.

Brian

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Can't get them on or off,

put on as a last layer of foot covering, the calf-high thing some women wear when not wearing panty hose, and then use sparingly, cornstarch on your foot, and the boot will glide on and off very easily!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts