Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw several rubs yesterday and today. I live in Va. Is the rut going to be earlier than usual? It is still very warm here? Most of the rubs were around the oaks. Does this mean they will try to hord all the nuts?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm by no means an expert but here in Mich. this early I think the rubs I've been seeing are from young bucks just feeling their oats. They are on small trees, No scrapes yet.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Cooter144 said:
Around here deer start to rub in early September as soon as they lose their velvet.
I saw a couple of really nice rubs the other day and I was thinking they were probably velvet rubs....not sure?? '94

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I'm in va too. I found three rubs and four scrapes today in about an hour and a half. good acorns on the ground in the areas of the scrapes.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
!!

hoyt3 said:
I'm in va too. I found three rubs and four scrapes today in about an hour and a half. good acorns on the ground in the areas of the scrapes.
BOY did we ever get hit with white oak. Acorns too. That was what I was wondering. The buck sign, Rubs are around the oak trees. Does that mean that is there territory or are just getting FRISKY!

·
Registered
837 Posts
bigbowman14 said:
BOY did we ever get hit with white oak. Acorns too. That was what I was wondering. The buck sign, Rubs are around the oak trees. Does that mean that is there territory or are just getting FRISKY!
At this point I would say that this means they are spending alot of time in the oaks and just polishing their horns on a nearby tree.:cocktail:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BogeyMan said:
At this point I would say that this means they are spending alot of time in the oaks and just polishing their horns on a nearby tree.:cocktail:
That is what I was hoping...CHOMP>>CHOMP>>>>THWACK!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
rubs in ohio

i found this one about two weeks ago i had just put a stand in the day before went back to put a lock on the tree 18 hours later this is what i found 20 yards from my stand

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
havoctec2006 said:
i found this one about two weeks ago i had just put a stand in the day before went back to put a lock on the tree 18 hours later this is what i found 20 yards from my stand
Are you sure you didnt accidently on purpose RUB your treestand against it and just didnt realize it:wink: Very nice:tongue:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Havoctec, good looking rub, Hope ya get a chance at that one. I haven't noticed a lot of acorns on the ground this year, last year they were everywhere.

Good Luck

·
33,181 Posts
I have hunted two spots this year in Wisconsin. One is near my house and I have seen a couple rubs. The other is north about an hour. I was there yesterday and saw 3 scapes, they were all in one location by some apple trees. I did not see any rubs though. I thought that was kind of wierd that in one spot you see rubs and no scapes and the other just the opposite?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts