Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,got a problem i hope you can help with.
In the past few weeks i have gone from a competitive archer who regularily was scoring pretty high(for me anyhow) to someone who in their last competition scored about 80 under their average and was eaten alive by nerves,i even managed to hit the wooden surround on my boss during the comp.
I am at the point that ebay is looking very inviting,although i dont in my heart want to pack it all in i can hardly be bothered to even look at my bow.
Anyhow guys have any of you been there, done that, and did you come out the other end in tact,if you did how or what did you do.
Any and all help is appreciated.:sad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Empty

You said it...you're running on empty. What will it take for you to refuel? Take a break, relax and then refocus? Whether it be golf, work or relationships we (I) seem to do better by simply taking a break, could be a weekend or a week (or longer) then you can get your head back in the game. No worries. It happens to all of us.
Don

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Take a break and recharge your batteries (what ever works for you as an individual). When you do start shooting again, begin with the basics of form and technique. Blank bale works for me until it is comfortable and familiar. Then start extending the distance and aiming at a mark. Good luck!

Dave

PS: I have been in a forced break for the summer and am going to be starting up again soon. The above is what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
20,696 Posts
Atech -

Been there and done that :pukey: . The real problem is that somewhere along the line, it stopped being fun and turned into work. If you're a professional archer and this is your livelihood, can't help ya ;)! If you're a guy who likes to shoot, then start liking it again. Taking a break is certainly a good idea, but if that bothers you, think of something to make it fun again. Try changing styles to something to take the pressure off. If you're shooting strict FITA, get a more "traditional" bow and play with it. Don't loose your form and start flinging arrows, just relax and play with it. Sometimes shifting your focus from shooting to teaching or coaching can work. But do something to make it something you WANT to do and not something you have to do or something you've become afraid of.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yep we have been to the place you are at. This is what worked for me. Get a copy of the book called "The inner game of Golf" by Tim Galway (I think). Read it and follow it, you will notice an immediate improvement in score stability and your own mental health (!!). I know it seems strange to read a golf book when doing archery but trust me it will help. The book is thin and easy to read.

·
Registered
37 Posts
W. Timothy Gallwey

In his books, some on work and tennis, W. Timothy Gallwey looks to the positive.

This is from a book critic:
Even the masters of the game, from the venerable Jack Nicklaus to the wunderkind Tiger Woods, must battle their mental demons to excel in the crucible of competition. How do they maintain concentration under pressure? How do they avoid the mental and physical tensions that can sabotage any shot, from the simplest putt to a demanding drive? And how do they contend with the nagging inner voice that says, "You haven't been playing your best today. How will you keep from messing up on this shot?"

Don

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Hey Atech

You've been progressing for 14 or 18 months right? did I read that? well the path to anything is not straight, everyone goes thru cycles of good and bad, stick with it. Think I've experienced a few times like this too...lately I pick up Rick McKinney's Simple Art of Winning or Vittorio Frangilli's The Heretic Archer and read for a hour or so and then when inspired I go shoot again...usually picks up my mood and I focus on correcting one simple aspect of my shooting and before I know it things fall into place....

good luck

·
Genesis 21:20
22,184 Posts
Some good advice here already, esp. CC46.

Progress is not a straight line. It is a series if peaks and valleys. Some valleys lower than others, and some peaks higher than others. Most of us plateau for a while before either increasing or decreasing performance too.

The only way to ensure a decline in progress is to give up. Then it's guaranteed ;)

But a nice break, followed by a return to form and study should get you back on track.

"Cross training", in various forms, is very important to me. My primary distraction from archery is golf, which keeps the mind sharp and technique at the forefront - albeit in different ways. It also keeps the competitive juices going, and the need to focus on each and every shot - and not the result.

Find an outlet, and when you're ready - become a student again, and work on form. Remember, process - not product :D

John.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
As you can see, the vast majority of us have gone through this painful process.

Keep your head up, use positive self-talk. Remind yourself how much fun archery is, and how much you enjoy the PROCESS of shooting. Remember the great days you had outdoors on a beautiful day, no chores, no worries, getting to escape for a couple of hours. Think about those archery experiences that leave you with a smile on your face, and only those experiences.

When (and I mean when) you return to shooting, go through your entire shot routine, and make sure you do go through it step by step. For myself, I found that when I was slumping, I wasn't setting up properly, and I wasn't following through as a result. Your mileage may vary on this.

JMHO. Good luck, you ought to post your methods and results on slump-busting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts