Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting this week, I'm going to be sitting around some bean fields a couple afternoons each week with binos and camera to see if there is anything worth going after in a few weeks. Between that and maybe putting up one or two more ladder stands, I can feel the rush coming!! My favorite time of the year:thumbs_up

Attachments

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
we start Sat. ,, with all the rain we had the mosquitoes are chomping, one stand ready, the other needs a little work that will finished tomorrow, gonna need a battery powered sawzall ! giant dead tree fell on my 14' box blind and destroyed the 1" steel frame...lol glad I wasn't in it !! can't wait !!!

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only place I've ever been chased out of the woods by mosquitos was down on the Roanoke River in Halifax County, NC:wink:

I'm sure they are going to be bad here in October too.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
State bird here !
I've hunted between Christmas and New Years and they were horrible here!

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bowhunted a few times down around Hemingway, SC in September. Wow!!!!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
they are not that bad here, after mid-november they're pretty much gone. of course as the crow flies i'm 10 miles from lake erie and about 60 from canada. 20 miles from the penn line. takes a tough skeeter to survive this place. we don't even have deer ticks.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
State bird here !
I've hunted between Christmas and New Years and they were horrible here!
Randy, I hunted between those two holidays last year. It was between 10 and 20 degree's out, a strong north wind, and 8" of snow on the ground!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
The only place I've ever been chased out of the woods by mosquitos was down on the Roanoke River in Halifax County, NC:wink:

I'm sure they are going to be bad here in October too.
It's been Very dry and hot here in south eastern Texas, This October might not be too bad with mosquito's!! Usually they are so bad I have to use my Thermacell walking in before I get set up at the blind or stand! Buy that time I'm already tore up!

Moon, This is my favorite time of year Also!!!:thumbs_up
26 more days before the season opener for us in Texas!

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RT, I believe it!!!! :)

In this part of VA they start chasing deer (legally) with dogs around November 15 and it's all down hill from that point. The only deer we will see then are the ones with dogs running behind them. Yep...it stinks. It will end, as it has in other states, but it will be after my time.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Randy, I hunted between those two holidays last year. It was between 10 and 20 degree's out, a strong north wind, and 8" of snow on the ground!!
I didn't hunt during that period. In fact, I don't even remember it. Oxycodone and Oxycontin ... lead to memory loss ... :lol: ... sure helped with the pain from knee replacements though. Thank God!!

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
lol... Tom and Al ... I can imagine being that cold has its own issues!

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TX, I have a friend here that will be moving back to the Houston area in about 4 years when he retires. He has 300 acres down there somewhere :) and he's been telling me how different deer hunting is down there, mainly the cost to lease hunting land and all the restrictions they have on what deer can and can't be taken. It must be working because he's shown me some photos of some fantastic Texas bucks:)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well Moon, atleast you have a place to hunt. I lost permission to hunt the farm I have been on for 9 years. Owner rented it out. Have been looking, asking, begging, with the same results as most previously. NO! I find Va not to be very friendly for non land owning hunters, whether the owners hunt or not.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vaguru, I know what you are saying. About the only thing to do is find a hunting club and try to get in. Man!!! that stinks!! I've lived here since 1962

and without being in 2 clubs I'd have nowhere decent to hunt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
TX, I have a friend here that will be moving back to the Houston area in about 4 years when he retires. He has 300 acres down there somewhere :) and he's been telling me how different deer hunting is down there, mainly the cost to lease hunting land and all the restrictions they have on what deer can and can't be taken. It must be working because he's shown me some photos of some fantastic Texas bucks:)
Moon, It can be expensive to get on a good lease here, I hunt the Sam Houston National Forest WMA that's close to my house. You must purchase a separate APH permit at $48 to hunt there plus annual hunting license. They started main beam must be 13" inside spread rule or one unbranched antler or spike rule 3 years ago in most of the East Texas counties. What that means is you can shoot a nice 6 pt or 8 pt even a 10pt, but it must have an inside spread wider than 13". It can also be a spike or have 5 pts on one side and a spike on the other, does not matter the inside spread with one unbranched antler, all legal deer. They do this because so many hunters were taking 10" inside spread 6 pts or 8 pts and fork horns.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TX, in my part of the state, the shotgun "hunters" have not progressed beyond "if it has hair on it......shoot it":mad:

My friend that I mentioned says he pays $2,500+ per year to hunt that lease. Typical cost in this area to join a club is between $300 and $600.

·
Bringer of truth
14,833 Posts
Well Moon, atleast you have a place to hunt. I lost permission to hunt the farm I have been on for 9 years. Owner rented it out. Have been looking, asking, begging, with the same results as most previously. NO! I find Va not to be very friendly for non land owning hunters, whether the owners hunt or not.
Most of us feel your pain, I have been in this spot several times.
One year I ended up just going to the outdoor range and shooting some 3d for my hunting season.
I kept having all my stuff ripped off on the public land. I finally gave up.
Finally my wifes best friend married a guy with some hunting property
and i have been in ever since.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Moon, A decent lease around here would cost 1000.00 to 2500.00 for a year. Now a good lease might be 2500.00 to 4000.00 Or More in south Texas or west Texas. I can't afford that, that's way I hunt the National Forest. I have taken some nice deer there too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts