Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Scott Mongoose a couple weeks ago, and it's already got some rust on the trigger and on the triangular piece that attaches to the wrist strap.

I was thinking of buffing it with steel wool and using a little vegetable oil or something on it. I don't want it to smell like RemOil in the deer woods...

I'm pretty aggravated about that. $60 and they can't put some sort of coating on their releases to keep 'em from rusting?

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I hunted with one last year and forgot to wipe it dry after hunting in the snow. I was frozen solid with rust. Got it free but I agree. I actaully replace almost all practical screws on all my archery equipment with brushed stainless

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
little goose

I have a little goose, and I like it. It hasn't rusted, and I have never dried it off after hunting. My biggest gripe with it is the head of it is always infront of my Bino/rangefinder lens. I wish it fall out of the way a little better.

Good luck,
Ben

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
beenfarr said:
I have a little goose, and I like it. It hasn't rusted, and I have never dried it off after hunting. My biggest gripe with it is the head of it is always infront of my Bino/rangefinder lens. I wish it fall out of the way a little better.

Good luck,
Ben
LOL my mongoose is always in the way of my rangefinder also. I do see a little rust around the triangular piece but it is just light surface rust. It wipes right off.

·
Banned
910 Posts
ya scott uses basic hi carbon steel,strong, durable, it will rust pretty easy, keep it stored dry and wipe it down with Rem Oil or some reasonable facsimile thereof once in a while and when exposed to moisture and it should last you thru a few wrist straps.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I have a Mongoose that's at lest 7 years old.
It has a bit of rust on the triange ect,but it's never got any worse than it is now.I never thought to worry about it at all,after all it's for hunting an it gets wet darn near every time I go out.
No biggie,it gets the job done an has never let me down.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Moose mustard said:
ya scott uses basic hi carbon steel,strong, durable, it will rust pretty easy, keep it stored dry and wipe it down with Rem Oil or some reasonable facsimile thereof once in a while and when exposed to moisture and it should last you Thur a few wrist straps.
Yap, I agree. The Rem oil is that big of a deal on smell I don't think. Wipe most of it off. I don't have any trouble with mine or I never paid any attention. If it starts to get wet, this hunter leaves. I usually try to dry my equipment and have on of the rust inhabiter in the case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts