Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I eagerly await our 10/15 opener, I've been arranging my vacation schedule. Reviewing my notes from previous years has revealed that I see far more deer during the chase phase rather than during the actual rut (about a week prior to the rut).

Do all of you see more deer during the rut or immediately prior to it??

todd

·
Registered
341 Posts
During the rut and sometimes post rut also.
I'm in the deep south and that's mid Dec. - mid Jan.

Lane

·
74,535 Posts
Pre rut

Has always been good time for me. Nov 1-10

·
Bonehunter
8,843 Posts
I see more buck during the rut - but would rather hunt the prerut phase. The big bucks are more predictable in their travel patterns.IMO:)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Todd,I live in Onondaga county.I have been bowhunting here for 40 years.Almost all my bow kills happen sometime during the first two weeks of November.Much of the time i don't hunt until the last week of October because the fishing is still so good.If you have to pick a week or two,do it then,hunt smart and often and you won't regret it.The second best time is during the late archery/muzzleloading season.I hunt then with a T/C sidelock roundball rifle.The deer can be found almost anytime of day feeding at the edge of heavy cover,sneakin around then or placing a stand near heavy cover where there's food is very productive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pre-rut definately. I rattled in the biggest buck I saw all season during the last week of October last year. I'm planning on focusing my efforts,this year, for the last week of Oct. thru the first couple of weeks of Nov. I saw more activity during this time than when I usually focus on which is Thanksgiving week. I'll be out there as much as I can. No matter what phase of the rut.

·
Registered
383 Posts
rut pre rut

todd pre rut is the best time to tag a nice buck, they are all wound up with no does willing so they are on the move constantly looking for a doe who is ready,, here in md the first 2 or 3 weeks in november is the time to be in the woods,,, the best set up to use is to hunt doe bedding areas in the morning and hunt the food source in the evening,,,,, the bucks will be where the does are,,, the actual rut is good but buck movement slows alot because once they find a hot doe they stay with them for a while,, i have to disagree with bwanas post,, there is no set pattern and bucks canot be patterned during the pre rut,, remember they are looking for a hot doe at this time if they dont find one on a given peice of property,, they could be in the county the next day,,, im no expert just stateing what has worked for me for many years,, hope it helps good luck,,,,,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts