Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say the deer ratio is somewhere between 6:1 and 10:1 for does to bucks....
During pre-rut chasing phases and actual full blown rut, in your opinion how far do you think bucks will wander out of their core areas in search for some lovin??

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not very far as they will not have to leave their core area to find love....younger bucks will get moved off but even w/ a ratio as you say of 10:1, button bucks may even get a piece of the action as there will be more than just a few hot does at one time. In my area I have similar ratios and sometimes when you feel the action s/b hot it isn't because the bucks don't have to travel or move very far to find love....in fact you could have does seeking bucks because the ratio is out of whack.....a good ratio is 1 buck for every 1-2 does with a health pecking or socila order in the herd....many differant age groups of bucks fighting for breeding rights.....oh well, in a perfect world, right........

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kipsbay said:
Not very far as they will not have to leave their core area to find love....younger bucks will get moved off but even w/ a ratio as you say of 10:1, button bucks may even get a piece of the action as there will be more than just a few hot does at one time. In my area I have similar ratios and sometimes when you feel the action s/b hot it isn't because the bucks don't have to travel or move very far to find love....in fact you could have does seeking bucks because the ratio is out of whack.....a good ratio is 1 buck for every 1-2 does with a health pecking or socila order in the herd....many differant age groups of bucks fighting for breeding rights.....oh well, in a perfect world, right........

I agree.... I get a kick outta some of the stuff you read and here about bucks going 5 miles out of their core areas during rut... not where there are 6-10 does for every buck... of course I am sure there are exceptions and a bucks will travel to find some hot does... just looking for different opinions

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Yes sir, I agree, they certainly wouldn't have to roam far at all with that many Does to service per buck. There also wouldn't be enough competition from any other buck that they should even worry about fighting over any. They just move on to the next Doe. Of course with such a lopsided sex ratio you will probably have the breeding phase stretched out to 2 or 3 different "ruts".

·
Registered
210 Posts
I also agree. The bucks don't have to go far at all to find hat they want. Forget about the bucks for a while. Concentrate on thinning the doe herd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts