Archery Talk Forum banner

Rut tactics, Muley style

796 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  skynight
I will be hunting the mule deer rut this year and am very excited.
I was wondering what tactics some of you guys have used for muley bucks durring this time.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5,566 Posts
Your first year hunting mulies?
And your used to hunting whitetail from a stand?
YOU are gonna have a blast...or hate it!

Spot them watch em bed, and then sneak in on them. Or pattern them and ambush them as they move to a bedding area, or feeding area.
Short,sweet and to the point!

Hunting Western Mulies,just remember....your not in Kansas anymore:wink:
Good luck.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I've never gotten to bowhunt the muley rut as our season closes before that,but, I do know that I have had muley bucks come to my 3d deer target in the backyard so a decoy might help. Especially if you've seen a buck and are trying to bring him closer. Montana decoys are great for elk and I think they make a muley decoy. As far as scents and such I don't think it'd help much, but then ....

· One Shot
9,244 Posts
Anyone ever use scent attractants, decoys, raking, or anything else out of the ordanary?
Tried them all without effect. Unlike the other respondents, I have had good luck with treestands muley hunting. During the rut I have seen muley bucks leave large groups of does and travel long distances, looking for does that are ready is my guess. Spot and stalk works, that's how I filled my tag this year. Ground blinds sort of work, but I have had a lot of mule deer spook from them so I no longer use them. I have also grunted muley bucks into range with the "true talker" call. There are a couple of mule deer noises you can make with that call, one a nasal sound that does make and the other a short grunt similar to whitetail grunt, only shorter. Decoys, scents, and rattling have not worked for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.