Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I hate tundra!
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently read Alsheimer's article in D&DH (Oct,05 issue) on how the moon effects the rut. I guess I'm still considering myself a bit of a sceptic on his theory, but it was nice to hear "this fall's rut will not ramp up and become full-blown until after Veterns Day (Nov. 11th)" since I'll be on my Pike County hunt Nov. 12th - 17th.

He says this year's rut will be a replay of 1997 & 2002 season when the rut didn't kick in until later in November.

I'm curious what some of the AT whitetail hunters thoughts are on the subject.

·
Have bow will travel
823 Posts
I have followed the "rutting moon" for three years now and my notes match it pretty closely. I am a believer!

·
Registered
306 Posts
some times yah and sometimes nah. What was his prediction last year I was in Iowa nov 1 - 8th and they were running all over

·
Registered
660 Posts
byrnzie said:
some times yah and sometimes nah. What was his prediction last year I was in Iowa nov 1 - 8th and they were running all over

Me too, I killed a 165 that was workin a scrape line like a bird dog on Nov. 1st

·
Registered
660 Posts
I only hunt the Moon, and it works.

Sure, Sunrise and Sunset are good times, but if you only hunt that you are missin the boat.

·
I hate tundra!
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe last year the rutting moon was in late october...not 100% but pretty sure.

I would descibe the rutting activity we saw the first week in Nov. last year to be more seeking than chasing.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Dude? You live in GA.?

I never hunted there, but I know the Bucks in AL. dont rut till Jan.

Here in N. Mi. the bucks are lookin about the 3rd week of Oct. and the Rut is the first two weeks of Nov. with bucks still checkin things out after Nov. 15 between dodgeing bullets

·
I hate tundra!
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude!! Check my signature...

PIKE COUNTY IL.

The "RUT" in GA (if you can call it that) is nothing like it is up north.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Just Hunt

I hunt when I can hunt. I believe in following the photoperiod if I had to predict the best time to hunt.

·
I hate tundra!
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw...

Good luck to anyone trying to predict the most intense part of the rut in GA or AL.

North GA - December
Central GA - Mid November
South GA - January ??

I've hunted in AL too...same situation.

Who knows why...warmer weather, restocking effort in the 1960's, I don't know.

That's why I like hunting further north...oh yeah, bigger bucks too. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Read Charlies Book

Hunting Whitetails by the Moon. I've noticed that if the weather cooperates and you have the temperatures that would normally have bucks moving in daylight, in conjunction with what is said in his book, for the most part Charles Alsheimer is someone worth listening too when it comes to the moon.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Why do you see deer out feeding in an open field at 1:00 PM? Or 3:30PM, 11:00AM?

Check your moon chart, anyone that does not believe is no competition, LOL!

·
Registered
780 Posts
in northern idaho the rut is usually between the first and second week in nov. and in the past 2 years i have seen and shot more big bucks between 10 am and 2 pm than ever before. not sure why, moon, or if they are learning that the hunters aren't there in the middle of the day or what it is but i hunt all day long now.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
barometer

i been watching the barometer presure for about 5 years and so far it has not fail me once. when the presure is 29.80 at my house deer is on the move. i live in maryland near seal level so i guest you have to check your area. if it above 30.00 or below 29.60 it seems the deer dont move much. the weather dont matter, i have seen deer in the rain, snow, windy, cold, or hot as long the barometer is around 29.80 you better be in the woods you will see deer. i am not say i dont hunt no time other then this reading. i saying if the barometer hit that target you need to stop what you are doing and go hunting,

the best thing is buy a barometer and carry it with you all of the time and when you see deer in the feild or in the woods take a ready. with in few mouths you will see the patter and that is your best ready and start hunting around that. it funny i read stories about the moon, weather, rut, and much more but only few guys hit on the barometer very slight, and i think this was the best tool i used. i can wake up and look at the barometer and tell how many deer i will see, it dont stop me from hunting but it help me get going

·
I hate tundra!
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why

fletchman said:
Why do you see deer out feeding in an open field at 1:00 PM? Or 3:30PM, 11:00AM?

Check your moon chart, anyone that does not believe is no competition, LOL!

...BECAUSE THEY'RE HUNGARY. :rolleyes: :p :teeth:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts