Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the two top limbs on my rx7 starting to splinter the other day while out hunting. Hoyts sending 4 replacement limbs under warranty but I won't receive them before I leave for my next hunt later this week. The guidance I got was basically "it's ok, just don't shoot it too much". I'm still keeping up with practicing, but most all I can think about on each draw is the thing blowing up in my hands. Most other examples I see of this searching the forum are of a splinter on the edge, not down the middle like on mine (there's a similar splinter on the opposite limb under the dampener). Roll with it? Find a backup over the next couple days? Worried for nothing? Never had this happen before. Thanks.

Automotive tire Wood Grass Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Yea I had hoyts splinter on the edge where you could strip off the splinters with tweezers but in the middle is super sketchy that is a bomb waiting to go off, I would not shoot at all. Do you have a backup? Can a friend loan you something? Does your shop have a demo they can help get up set up for your hunt? I would do anything I can to not shoot that. If no other option then don't shoot before the hunt but explore every opportunity.

·
The Impartial Archer
23,785 Posts
I'm not an OSAH dweeb and if the limb were to crack and break "most" likely you'll not die gurling death like many people act but it's not a good idea either if you don't want to risk some type of pain.............lol

It's going to break if you keep shooting it.....it's just a matter of when. Back up bow?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have a similar splinter on my Hoyt Axius (except on edge of limb). I was told just to clip the piece and shoot it..then return after season to have the limb replaced under warranty. Not sure if I would shoot with it being more in middle like yours.

·
Registered
Get Serious
2,168 Posts
I noticed the two top limbs on my rx7 starting to splinter the other day while out hunting. Hoyts sending 4 replacement limbs under warranty but I won't receive them before I leave for my next hunt later this week. The guidance I got was basically "it's ok, just don't shoot it too much". I'm still keeping up with practicing, but most all I can think about on each draw is the thing blowing up in my hands. Most other examples I see of this searching the forum are of a splinter on the edge, not down the middle like on mine (there's a similar splinter on the opposite limb under the dampener). Roll with it? Find a backup over the next couple days? Worried for nothing? Never had this happen before. Thanks.

View attachment 7702831

The top cam looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.
How the it get so damaged especially on the inside of the limbs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The top cam looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.
How the it get so damaged especially on the inside of the limbs?
The only damage I see anywhere is the limb splintering, and the 'how' there is unknown.

It looks dirty because I took this photo in the middle of a hunt in Oregon where the mountain was covered in alkali dust - it got everywhere.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

View attachment 7702831
Probably not the death trap that everyone thinks but if it were me....absolutely I am finding a backup bow. That kind of thing doesn't install confidence on the shot and that will effect you mentally to the point of ruining a shot opportunity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts