Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking through this as I type so bear with me. I have had a couple brand new, out of the box Hoyt RX4's (both Alpha and Ultra) in the shop recently that have been giving me tuning issues: + 1/2" nock high tears on one specific bow, +1/2" nock low tears on the other. After a lot of trial and error (adjusting rest to both extremes for elevation, and moving the D-loop) checking factory specs on the bows after each adjustment and re-timing the cams to dead even, I was able to get rid of the nock low tear when the top cam hit first. The consistency of Hoyt's nock travel would lead me to believe that you might achieve better tuning results by initially setting the D-loop higher than normal to keep from adding twists to the cable. Has anyone else found any success by adjusting your nocking point? Or would it be easiest to continue to run the arrow perpendicular to the string and stick to adding the twists?

At this point I am open to any suggestions. Especially if anyone has been able to get a decent tune with heavier FOC arrows. I know how the bow groups is more important than chasing the 'perfect' bullet hole, but I would definitely like to be able to send my customers home with a bow that isn't having these types of tears.

thanks,
ethanmoore

·
Premium Member
1,236 Posts
I ran into something similar with my RX-4 Alpha - I initially had setup everything re normal hoyt specs similar to what I had done with the RX-3, but wound up with a nock high tear that I hard a hard time adjusting out. Cams were in sync, Centershot was good, cam lean good, etc. but still had nock high tears. After adjusting a few times, I got fed up with it and reset the QAD and retied my dloop a bit higher - I had started deal level. This seems to have corrected it. I can still get a bit of high tear with lighter arrows, but with FMJ's 450g and up it's pretty much bulletholes now - fletched and bareshaft. I'm going to do some walkback tuning to fine tune it. With the RX3 I had top cam hitting just before bottom, now with RX4 I have both cams hitting same time, plus a smidge higher than level dloop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran into something similar with my RX-4 Alpha - I initially had setup everything re normal hoyt specs similar to what I had done with the RX-3, but wound up with a nock high tear that I hard a hard time adjusting out. Cams were in sync, Centershot was good, cam lean good, etc. but still had nock high tears. After adjusting a few times, I got fed up with it and reset the QAD and retied my dloop a bit higher - I had started deal level. This seems to have corrected it. I can still get a bit of high tear with lighter arrows, but with FMJ's 450g and up it's pretty much bulletholes now - fletched and bareshaft. I'm going to do some walkback tuning to fine tune it. With the RX3 I had top cam hitting just before bottom, now with RX4 I have both cams hitting same time, plus a smidge higher than level dloop.
Thanks for your input! i was finally able to work the tear out. oddly enough, i ended up adding 1.5 twists to each yoke, shooting the bow (had a worse tear). i took those twists back out and was back to neutral and shot a bullet hole. rotated the nock on the arrow 90 degrees (4fletch) and bullet hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts