Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since i am not a saddle hunter and do not know the available products can someone tell me if the new style cast seats from LW and XOP will work as a saddle platform with available aftermarket components? I know the old style LW seat casting work as i have sold 10 of them now but why not the new style seat castings? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Since i am not a saddle hunter and do not know the available products can someone tell me if the new style cast seats from LW and XOP will work as a saddle platform with available aftermarket components? I know the old style LW seat casting work as i have sold 10 of them now but why not the new style seat castings? Thanks in advance.
They probably would, but the treestand manufacturers have gotten pretty hip to saddle hunters repurposing their seat castings as saddle platforms, and have raised their prices or limited availability of the seat castings accordingly.

And last I checked by the time you purchased a new/replacement seat casting and all of the components needed for a saddle platform you would be pretty close cost-wise to a commercially available saddle platform. I doubt you'll be saving much if anything if you DIY your own saddle platform these days.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Because the old sandcast LW seats have teeth cast into the back of them. No treestand design since then has used teeth in the back of the seat.

d_rek is correct. Not sure why anyone would be building their own, unless you're selling the seats dirt cheap. The components would add up to nearly the same as an available platform, with less functionality and more risk.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,072 Posts
I think the least expensive commercially marketed platforms I found when I was looking was the Helium HSP at around $50 and the OOAL Solo Scout around $75. I never did get too far into the Saddle thing, so there could certainly be others out there, but they weren't "inexpensive", at least in my humble opinion.....I sold my JX3 maybe sooner than I should have, just was too foreign for me...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
There were a lot of issues with the xop and lonewolf seat platforms cracking when caming over. They just don’t have the strength, not designed for that.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There were a lot of issues with the xop and lonewolf seat platforms cracking when caming over. They just don’t have the strength, not designed for that.
The new style seats would not cam over. They do not have the teeth to do that.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The new style seats would not cam over. They do not have the teeth to do that.
People put a strap through the platform (seat) rungs and around the tree, and use that to get a cam lock. Obviously those seat rungs are meant to support the weight of an ass, not the weight of a person + the stress of a cam lock.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
People put a strap through the platform (seat) rungs and around the tree, and use that to get a cam lock. Obviously those seat rungs are meant to support the weight of an ass, not the weight of a person + the stress of a cam lock.
OK. The only ones i have seen with the new style seat castings have been on the lower end of the tubing and just resting against the tubing with the regular seat adjustment bolt. They look like a very short stick with the two batwings and the seat at the bottom. The versa button holding the post to the tree at the top.

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They take two batwings or 6 point xop bracket mounted to a 6” long piece of 1.5” square tube. Essentially makes a predator platform
Ok. That makes sense. Where are guys buying the parts.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Got my stuff from eastern woods to make one like the picture above. Got some hardware from tractor supply. Looking to try one of the new wild edge platforms made by eastern woods as I like the shape and what better thing to waste my money on than something I don’t need. The one I made works perfectly fine. Just need new stand offs as the muddy ones I pulled off some old sticks were too lightweight and bent when cammed.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That looks simple to do. I have 3 original LW seats out in the shop. I upgraded my seats a few years back to the version in the pics above. I might have to make some platforms.
If you mean original as the ones with the teeth I’d love to try to make a platform with one. If you mean what’s pictured they work great. Have fun.

·
Feedn The Geese
12,267 Posts
Why anyone would waste the energy when the predator exists is beyond my wildest imagination. The sandcast was what spawned the predator.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Because it’s cheaper if you have the parts. And some people like the satisfaction of building stuff. Like asking why would anyone make their own self bow, daisy chain their own amsteel or cut and/or fletch their own arrows. 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
10,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why anyone would waste the energy when the predator exists is beyond my wildest imagination. The sandcast was what spawned the predator.
Well for the guys making them they save about 100.00 vs buying a new tetherd.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts