Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post - glad to be aboard. I purchased a new Samick Sage recurve bow last night, and am looking for an appropriate way to store it strung. I do not have the wall space to hang it by the string from two pegs, and was hoping that it is okay if I store it laying flat on the carpet under my couch. It is safe and dry there - and based on a few previous posts I read it should be OK but I just wanted to make sure. Many thanks!

Patrick

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
Welcome to AT and congrats on the new bow. Nothing wrong with laying it flat on the floor but being a take down it's always a better thing to unstring it. Is there a reason
that you don't or can't unstring it? They do make some nice take down cases that aren't to expensive. A good stringer is always worth the money.
Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation! I have a Limb Saver stringer that I bought for an old long bow, but when I bought this recurve the shop owner told me that it's fine to just leave them strung as long as it is hung by the string. If it's safe for the bow to leave it strung and flat that would work great for me.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Welcome to the hobby and AT.

No recurve bow should ever be stored strung for an extended period of time. It will cause the limbs to take a set over time. A day or two is fine, but a long time is not. It only takes a few seconds to take it down with a stringer. You could then store it leaning in a corner or under your couch with no issues.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
There is a traditional section somewhere here, those guys have loads of good information. You could probably go there and do a search on storing recurves and have all kinds of information to read. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
17,174 Posts
What do you consider storing...a few days, week or two, few months?

Where can you store it strung?

you don't want to stand it on its ends in a corner...seems like common sense but I've seen people leave them this way.

if you can lay it against a wall, string side down, that would be fine for a few days, even a few weeks. At the shop I work at, we keep our range bows which are the same thing you're shooting, strung all the time...rarely taking them down.

as to how long...quite a long time. I know people that never unstring their bows and never have any issue with them.

On my Oly bow, it gets taken down every time I shoot...much easier to transport that way.

Stringer? It's good to have but not necessary. Watch some video of people stringing and unstringing without a stringer--quite simple. You may hear someone say that you can twist or break limbs...possible but unlikely. After you watch, if you feel comfortable trying, great--I'd suggest finding someone that can work directly with you...training is much faster and you'll have peace of mind that you're doing it right.

if you do decide to take it apart, you'll want to make sure the string doesn't untwist--this will change the brace height. A paper clip pinching the two ends together will work fine. After you put the bow back together you'll want to check brace height just to verify your still tuned

·
Registered
28 Posts
Storing a recurve flat, in a dry area is okay (I do so with my Blackhawk, but I use it every day). I also alternate which side it's stored on simply because I'm nuts.

Leaving a recurve strung and unused for more than a few days will lower the draw-weight, however. Stringers are extremely easy to use and also very cheap.

Hope I didn't step on any toes; I'm new.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Modern laminated recurve & long bows can be left strung indefinitely with no problem. I have a 73 Pearson Predator that, through a series of mishaps, was stored strung for almost 20 years. It needed a new string, but still draws the exact weight as brand new. Most of my trad friends leave their bows strung unless there is a reason to un-string it. However, the shops advice is sound. Hang it from the string. A bow stored standing on end, can develop limb twist. There is less chance of developing limb twist if it's laid flat, but it's still better to hang from the string.

Note - If you are transporting the bow in your car, most (all?) state laws require it to be either unstrung or cased.

Allen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Note - If you are transporting the bow in your car, most (all?) state laws require it to be either unstrung or cased.

Allen
I didn't know that. This is why I need to be here. Thank you for the info.! You might have just saved me a ticket.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Welcome to the hobby and AT.

No recurve bow should ever be stored strung for an extended period of time. It will cause the limbs to take a set over time. A day or two is fine, but a long time is not. It only takes a few seconds to take it down with a stringer. You could then store it leaning in a corner or under your couch with no issues.
I would NEVER recommend to anyone that they store their recurve leaning in a corner. This is how limbs get twisted over time. I would rather him store it strung and laying flat than unstrung and leaning in a corner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts