Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a Vibracheck Safedraw because - well - I stink from lack of practice. I am interested to know if it will hold up over hundreds of shots per week since it will have to replace shooting arrows for most of my practice time this fall and winter.

Looking for opinions based on experience if possible.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Super,

Shouldn't be a problem at all. I have not shot one for hundreds of shots, but I see no reason why they wouldn't hold up. Perry uses one on a regular basis e-mail or PM him he is username AA on archerytalk. I'm sure he can give you the info you are looking for as far as durability.

·
Registered
506 Posts
SuperX,

I have shot my SafeDraw several days a week for over a year now with no problems. As I have said before, I believe that it is superior to Blank Bale shooting.

Tips for shooting a SafeDraw:

o DO NOT use a Finger Sling, too much recoil. Use a Wrist Sling.
o Use a shorter stabilizer than normal and add a little back weight to get the balance right.
o If at all possible, dedicate a single bow to its use.

Good Shooting!

Perry

·
Registered
800 Posts
I agree with Perry 100% on all points. Except maybe use a wrist sling AND a finger sling. ;) Seriously though, the bow jumps pretty good when shot. The first and last time I can remember a bow of mine being dropped is when I let someone try it with the SD without warning them.

I've been using a Safedraw off and on for about a year, no problems at all. I recently got the optional mount that does not require the arrow rest to be removed. It's not a very good fit for my Mathews as the riser is very long...I vote for dedicating a bow if at all possible, but the optional mount ($25) might be worthwhile depending on the bow you'll be using it on.

I will add that Vibracheck (Ron) is one of, if not the best company I've ever dealt with in regards to customer service. If you ever have a problem I'm sure he'll see that it's taken care of. As an example.... A dealer (45 minute drive for me) sold me a damaged SD, but had to order a replacement unit for me. I called Vibracheck and asked about the problem. The replacement was on my doorstep the NEXT DAY. That reminds me, don't overtighten the small screws on the string clamp, looks like someone did that at the dealer on the 2 they had, or they were damaged during shipment).

CharlieL

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - based on your feedback I ordered one today. I'll let everyone know how I like it once I get a chance to use it a while.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Perry - just curious why you feel it is superior to bale shooting. It is absolutely a great tool, but with bale shooting, you're able to shoot your exact setup. The safedraw will not afford the same balance as what you will shoot at a target. My impression is that this is a tool to use when you cannot shoot at the bale. Just curisous - thanks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I put a safedraw on a Genesis bow for me and the wife to practice our BT release on and it has worked just fine. Only been using it since June, but no problems. Like Perry said, it requires some counterbalancing and it has a pretty good "jump" but for what we use it for, it works well.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The reason I feel the SafeDraw is superior to Blank Bale shooting, at least for me, is that with blank bale shooting you miss one critical element in your shot execution. AIMING.

Using the SafeDraw, I find that I can develop the same feel for the shot as I can with Blank Bale shooting with the added benefit of aiming while improving form.

With Blank Bale shooting, I always found that as soon as I started aiming at the spot the good form I developed shooting Blank Bale began deteriorating (many times on the very first shot).

With the SafeDraw I make the transition from shooting with the SafeDraw to shooting for Score with much more of my Good Form intact.

I have shot fewer arrows for score in the last year than I have in many years. Despite that, and the fact that I'm getting to be an old fart, I have shot more clean Vegas rounds in the last year than all other years combined (still haven't managed two clean rounds back to back yet however #%*&!).

Good Shooting!

Perry

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mike...just my 2 cents.

While blank bale shooting I still tend to aim at something, usually holes in the foam backstop. Unless standing very close to the backstop I'm hesitant to close my eyes and shoot an arrow. Besides that, standing close is a problem at my club range if others want to shoot too.

With the Safedraw you never have to worry about flinging an arrow into the wall, ceiling or anywhere else. I've never shot so many arrows with my eyes closed focusing on back tension and shot execution. Visualization can be practiced at the same time as well.

I was able to get the balance set very close to my "regular" bow. The convenience of practicing just about anywhere is certainly the top benefit I see to owning one. For someone that's not close to a range, or with little time to shoot, I see it as a great alternative to shooting arrows.

CharlieL

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, I just bought a SafeDraw. I bought a used one, but it should be here in less then 2 weeks. I also orderd the optional bracket. I will post when I get mine.

The idea of praticing late at nigh while jamming my stereo has me exited.

Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts