Archery Talk Forum banner

Safety harness and ladder stands...

733 7
All this talk has got me thinking. I use a harness when I get up in the stand but not crawling up or down. Is that what most people do. I have two properties with 14 Big Game luxury boxes set up and they are huge ladder stands. What would you guys/gals do?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
625 Posts
I'm not really sure what the BigGame Luxury box is, but on my open ladder stands, and I have 7 of those set, I use my climbing line with the prusik knot.

I know of folks that have slipped climbing their ladders, particularly in wet or snowy weather. Most do fine, but I know of one guy that lost his handhold and fell backwards from about 8 feet. The good thing was he did not hit the ground. The bad thing was his foot slipped through the ladder run and trapped him upside down breaking his leg. He had a real devil of a time getting himself out of it and was scared that he was going to pass out upside down.

I only have one rule: Connect to the tree on the ground, don't disconnect until I'm back on good ole terra firma.

Anyway, here's a picture from Field and Stream from a couple years ago that shows how the climbing line setup works. Let me know if you have any questions.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
I have a Big Game Luxury Box as well. It has the gun rest/bar around the top but can be flipped back.

Do you wear a harness on the ladder stands with the bar around them? I sure don't.....never seen anyone that did.:confused:

· Registered
972 Posts
My dad was in a stand with a bar around it and the strap broke and he fell with the stand. It isnt always about the person falling from the stand.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
My dad was in a stand with a bar around it and the strap broke and he fell with the stand. It isnt always about the person falling from the stand.
We hunt primarily ladder stands. We had one tree with a ladder stand in it go down the last 2 weeks. Had someone been it when it fell....I sure in that case would rather NOT have the harness on...that way I could at least try and jump out of the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.