Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the API safety harness that came with my stand a couple years back, it is a full body and it is a great harness...however I do not have something that I can attach to the tree while I am climbing. Does someone make something that you can attach to the tree while climbing that does not make a lot of noise? How can you climb climbing sticks to a lok-on with something wrapped around the tree?

· Registered
12,598 Posts
I have the API safety harness that came with my stand a couple years back, it is a full body and it is a great harness...however I do not have something that I can attach to the tree while I am climbing. Does someone make something that you can attach to the tree while climbing that does not make a lot of noise? How can you climb climbing sticks to a lok-on with something wrapped around the tree?
Hmmm. I don't know how the API one works. I use a Summit safety harness and it attaches to a Prusack knot. The knot slides up and down a rope. So for haning stands with any sort of steps, I get 40' pieces of the black rope at Home Depot (it is some kind of tack rope) and make my own prusack knots with smaller line. I can then put a safety line in each stand from the ground up. I just slide the knot up as I go.

· Registered
6,854 Posts
Hmmm. I don't know how the API one works. I use a Summit safety harness and it attaches to a Prusack knot. The knot slides up and down a rope. So for haning stands with any sort of steps, I get 40' pieces of the black rope at Home Depot (it is some kind of tack rope) and make my own prusack knots with smaller line. I can then put a safety line in each stand from the ground up. I just slide the knot up as I go.
I use the Summit SOP harness (same type of knot) when using my climber. I tie off from the minute I step on the platform until the minute I step off at the end of the hunt. No exceptions.

· Registered
12,598 Posts
http://www.summitstands.com/productdetail.aspx?id=329141

this is what you need. It has a prussic knot you attach to then you climb up to your lock-on stand. Everyone should have one of these in all permanent stands.
Yup. That is EXACTLY what I use. Except I mis-spelled the knot name. As I said above, you can make the tree attached part yourself for a lot less then what Summit charges for them. The prussic knot is VERY easy to tie.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some research on the Prusik and how it works...so these 40' pieces of rope from the Home Depot, Do you tie them to the tree where your stand is and let the other end just hang loose, then take another piece of rope and make your Prusik with that? Then I could take my current safety harness and attach it to the Prusik which in turn is attached to the rope tied at top of stand and hanging down to ground? Does this make sense?

· Registered
11,771 Posts
The system mentioned above is the way to go, and then you can use a lineman's climbing system the first time you go up the tree. The prussic knot is awesome for climbing, very quick and virtually silent....'94

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.