Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st rule: Never draw a bow without an arrow nocked.
2nd rule: Always point the bow in a safe direction.

In spite of being a dumbazz, these two rules saved my bow, and probably a wall in my house. Unfortunately, I took the brunt of the blunder, but I'm ok, just bruised up, and cut a little bit.

While checking the poundage on my bow with my Easton Draw Scale, it slipped from my hand at full draw....doh! It was the craziest thing yet that's ever happened to me in archery. The scale hit my bow hand, opening up a knuckle...by blunt force..very painful, and seared off the containment bar on my Qad....dammmit!

Luckily...arrow nocked, and pointed at the bag target!! Thank god it wasn't one of those Metal spring type hand held scales...I would have had a broken hand. Also, luckily nothing else on the bow got touched.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Good reminder for everyone......

I have dry fired my bow once....arrow fell off the knock on draw (I was adjusting the nocks out and it was too loose).....which got me flustered and I let too much slack in the draw and the cam rolled over and it toook off on me a bit, which caused my to bump my release....SNAP. Sickened me. Lucky for me for whatever reason the bow took it, no cracked limbs or other damage.

If you shoot 20k shots a year, it only takes .01 percent of shots for something crazy to happen and thats twice a year.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
I have been lucky for along time, having one of the metal spring type poundage checkers....never has slipped yet...I will be hanging on to the handle more carefully from know on....sorry about your injury, heal up fast.....Dave

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have let my release go twice after switching from a wrist strap to a t-handle. Luckily for me the worst thing thats happened is broken cable guards. FRUSTRATING, but thankful the release didnt hit my hand. Although it did end up in the pool once....:embara:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts