Archery Talk Forum banner

Safety Vest/Harness not enough

1456 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  willraygreen
Ok, I started out with climbers and used the vest and the life line rope all the way up and down the tree. Then last year I got my first Loc On and thought to myself now what happens if I slip on the way up or while getting on or off that loc on? I invested 150 dollars in 4, 30 foot life lines and am tied in from the time I leave the ground till I step off those sticks. Nobody in my old club used these and I think thought I was a little to cautious. I see no difference falling from the sticks or the stand it still hurts or kills doesn't it? The real trick is when you get up there and step onto or off that stand, turn and hook up then set down. You owe it to yourself and your family to stay tied in the whole time. If you are climbing anything and aren't tied in you are asking for it. Please be safe out there.:darkbeer:
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
8,583 Posts
Oh ! yah. I to have added two line ropes to my favorite stand places. I will be tyed from start to finish. And ya know what those climbs in the early moning light will be much easier. And when Iam all geeked up after a killing shot and I need to get down Ill be good. My guess is though I will probably start walking to my kill still hooked up. Well good thing no one is watching. Well maybe a squirrel or two. Iam happy. :wink:

Crazy Wolf.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Or,you could use a linesman belt/rope up the tree,then hook your safety strap above your stand before you have to un hook your linesman belt,,,,you can use 2 to go a round limbs and be hooked all the way up and down.

· Registered
1,395 Posts
What am I missing? How do you get the line in the tree the first time? How do you get it down? I use a TreeSaddle 80%, a regular harness/linesman 15%and a climber 5%, but I'm still not sure about this lifeline idea. With the saddle I don't hunt the same spots that often. Do I climb a tree with the harness, hang the lifeline for next time, then remove it and use the harness for descent?

· Registered
3,205 Posts
What am I missing? How do you get the line in the tree the first time? How do you get it down? I use a TreeSaddle 80%, a regular harness/linesman 15%and a climber 5%, but I'm still not sure about this lifeline idea. With the saddle I don't hunt the same spots that often. Do I climb a tree with the harness, hang the lifeline for next time, then remove it and use the harness for descent?

Use a linesmens belt hanging the stand the first time.

Steve

· Registered
10 Posts
I used a safety line in the tree for the first time this year. I used to just wear a harness and hook in after climbing in. I couldn't believe how easy it was and how much safer I felt. I used a lineman's belt when I hung the stand and it made the whole job easier. I have 1 stand left to add a line to and will be doing so soon. Probably the next time I'm in that stand.

I tend to err on the side of caution. A few years ago a good friend of mine fell about 12' while wearing a harness, it failed. He broke his back, but fortunately he made a full recovery. I learned from his accident, his brother didn't. 2 weeks later he fell 30' getting into his stand. He survived, but is now completely paralized.

· Registered
96 Posts
When I hang a stand, I always leave a section of climbing rope in the tree. I usually fasten this above the stand, higher than my head. I tie my own Prussic knot, and leave it fastened to the climbing rope. This is the same setup that the Hunter's Saftety system uses, and allows you to snap in to the line at the ground, and never unattach until you are back on the ground. The great thing about this is that by leaving the rope in the tree, you can weave it around the branches to your particular path up and down the tree, never having to worry about falling while climbing.

I think this is the safest way to climb a tree stand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.