Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i always hear and see posts about having a treestep with you so if you fall and are hanging in your harness you can take the weight off your leggs. how exactly is that done?

·
Vendor
25,102 Posts
The tree step is to be screwed into the tree in a position that you can reach it with your foot allowing you to stand on it. This relieves the pressure on arteries in your legs. It would be quicker to attach a belt with a loop on the end to your harness. Then stand in the loop. Either one could save your life.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The HSS and the harness that came with my Summit came with the "step" rope included to relieve the pressure until rescued.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you putting this step in after the fall? thats how many make it sound. i tried that this evening hanging in a harness and it wasn't happening.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that strap that came with my HSS harness didn't seem ideal either. one thing i did notice with the HSS it was a heck of alot more comfortable than hanging in the ones that come with the Summits. with the HSS when i pulled my knees up in almost a sitting position it seemed to take some preasure off my leggs

·
Mark
5,425 Posts
sounds like good idea and never heard of that before. my muddy came with safety restraint belt which you carry on you somewhere and if you fall you tie each end onto the linemans loops with the middle about knee height and then step on the strap to relive the pressure of the legs straps. makes good sense and hope I never get to use it!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
If you fall and are hanging below the stand, then you tied into the tree wrong. Your tether should be attached high enough on the tree so that it is almost taught when you are seated in the stand. That way if you fall off your stand, you are still at the same level as the stand and it's easy to get back on it.......doesn't anyone watch the safe treestand hunting video that comes with most stands?

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you fall and are hanging below the stand, then you tied into the tree wrong. Your tether should be attached high enough on the tree so that it is almost taught when you are seated in the stand. That way if you fall off your stand, you are still at the same level as the stand and it's easy to get back on it.......doesn't anyone watch the safe treestand hunting video that comes with most stands?
i am refering to if your stand is no longer there, that happens even with new stands. i knew of one new hang on that the cables came apart.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
still for as many times as i have seen '' i always carry an extra fold up step in case i fall and hanging in my harness'' no one has yet posted the answer to the question ''how actually is that done while hanging''.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
exactly correct.

even if your stand falls away, you will still be able to touch the climbing sticks or your ladder step or treesteps. you climbing sticks or step should be 90 degrees to your stand and they should be higher than you stand.

this is one of the reasons i bought a Muddy safety harness. the tether is short and you have a rope with a prussic knot, that allows you to slide the knot up or down to maintain tension on the tether whether your standing or sitting. if your sitting and you stand up, YOU MUST slide the knot UP to maintain tenson on the tether. if you do not, you will fall the amount of slack in your tether you created when you stood up. when you sit back down, then YOU MUST slide the knot DOWN to keep the tension on the tether.

problem is many guys HAVE NO CLUE to do this. would you rather fall 2 feet or 6 inches?

learn how to adjust your harness, learn how to use it, practice with it and have a plan if you do fall.

Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts