Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv been shooting my sage off the shelf since mid summer and that worked great but i would like to shoot off an elevated rest to hopefully improve my scores...i was thinking a plunger and flipper..i read somewhere that the sage isnt cut past center enough to shoot with some rests?? thought maybe you guys could give some advice..thanks

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I shoot the Polaris, which may be cut similarly to the Sage, with a Bear Weather Rest. (The pics of the Sage show a similar horizontal line above the side plate area where the cut comes deeper towards center.) The Polaris is cut a hair past center. As to a plunger setup, there was a recent thread concerning this that you might search for. I remember a couple of conflicting comments about this usage concerning the Sage.

The rest I use keeps the arrow just left of center in an average fashion. Don't see the need for a plunger setup for my uses.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would be interested in knowing this also. I have both the Polaris and Sage. The Sage I shoot off the shelf and the Polaris I use a Nap center rest. I think the Nap rest pushes the arrow a little to far left of center. I don't like shooting off the shelf either. Although I like both bows, I am wondering if I would have been better off with an ILF bow.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yes, that NAP rest may well be thick for that riser. I take the adhesive strip off of the Bear rest (or any other similar rest) and glue it to the riser with Barge cement for the closest possible lay.

I just eyeballed several of my Polaris bows and the functional side plate looks like about 1/16" past center. It seems center cut on the tall, flat side until that dip about two inches above the rest cuts towards center for the 1/16" farther cut.

But I tell you what ... a stick on rest of most any type like the Bear or Hoyts will make either of those bows magnificent shooters. ILF is excellent (got one), but there ain't nothing wrong with my Polaris ... its an inexpensive marvel of functionality.

With the Bear Weather Rest, my arrow lays about one and a half arrow widths off of the center line of the string ... a very decent place to be.

The overly-subtle arc of the rest area and very flat side plate would tempt me to, if I were to shoot off the shelf, bump both areas under the leather with a matchstick, toothpick, or leather lace to create a more positive launch point ... especially the side plate due to its dead-flat nature. You are here, in essence, creating an elevated rest to accommodate the bow's design and can keep the arrow as close to or far from center as your materials allow for tuning purposes.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I was looking into this not too long ago. Since it isn't cut very far past center, I think going with a wrap around rest (like the cartel CR-201) and a skinny diameter arrow would be your best for using a plunger.
CR201.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts