Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I got drawn! :teeth: St Vincent Island in Florida has a once a year three day primitive weapons hunt for Sambar deer. I'm taking my bow, others in my party will be using Black-powder. This is a first for me. but I understand these are big deer--300-500lbs. last year there were 6 killed out of 135 hunters, so success rates are very low. I believe they prefer the low marshy areas and I suspect are hard to get to. ANYBODY got some experience with these critters? Any help would be greatly appreciated--Bill

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
Congrats , I had a buddy go there about 6 years ago and got a nice bull weighed about 500 lbs . He took that one with his ML

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
one word

Thermacell!
The mosquitos and flies are bad on the Island. Sambar Deer are big like you think, I have seen a few on the Island and some off of it. Since it's a game preserve make sure you don't kill anything other than whats on your list. One whole group got kicked off before for killing a rattlesnake that no one whould own up too.
Good Luck.
Pat Patterson
Southern Hunter

·
7,987 Posts
Well if you've heard that you were drawn, I must not have been. I wasn't sure when they would release who was drawn. Maybe next year! Yea, a Thermacell or three would be a great idea on that island. :wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dthbyhoyt--Think your buddy would be willing to share info? Time, place, method. Am I going to have to mix it up with a bunch of gators? Is it feasable to play the 30yd game with Sambar? Thanks for the help--Bill

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Do You Have A Boat To Take You Over And Bring You Back? My Friends Have Done This Hunt Twice And There Is An Area On The Island That You Cant Hunt This Is Were The Sambar Deer Are So Hunt The Edge Of This Area And Gettem Coming And Going

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.