Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just getting back into archery after a 36-years hiatus due to chronic illness. My upper body strength is nowhere near what it was back when I used a 60# recurve. I just purchased a Samick Sage 62˝ 25# take-down. It is a beautiful bow. My issue is that I have a 31.5˝ draw length and the Sage stacks up very quickly beyond 28˝. I am unable to draw it beyond the 28˝ and I am not comfortable shooting at such a short draw.

So I began thinking about a longer bow, my reasoning being that at the same draw weight, a longer bow would be somewhat easier to draw and allow a longer draw. That is when I began to consider the 66˝ Polaris. Finally we get to my questions.

Are the limbs on the Polaris longer than those on the Sage? At the same draw weight, would it be a bit easier to draw/ I ask that because increasing the length of many take-downs means increasing the rise length, not the limb length; so the draw isn't any easier.

An acquaintance at the local range claims Sage and Polaris limbs are interchangeable. I have not been able to verify that. The bow he uses seems to be a combo - Sage riser and Polaris limbs. He went that route for the same reason I am looking into this option. I could not test his bow because the 40# draw weight was beyond me. Should I go the combo route, go with complete Polaris, or some other bow entirely? Perhaps I should go to a long one-piece recurve?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My apologies. All references to the Samick Polaris in my original post should be to the Samick Journey. Big difference there. I don't know where my head was. Sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Sage and Polaris are interchangeable for sure. I don't know about the Journey.
I have a Polaris bow and wanted to use the Sage limbs because they are fastflight string compatible. I got different answers from many different pro shops ( I even got different answers from different employees in the same shop ).
I finally emailed Samick and got it straight from the horse's mouth.
This is what they said....the Polaris riser will work with Sage limbs but cannot handle more than #36. If you look at Polaris limbs they go up to #40, so I think that for liability purpose's, Samick added a 10% margin of error hence #36 instead of #40 like the polaris.
I will be ordering #40 sage limbs very soon. Look at Samick's website and call or email the north America Division to ask about the Journey. The Polaris is a really good shooting bow and it comes in 68" by using the larger riser.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts