Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to indoor 3d and have gone to a few shoots. It seems like there are some people that should be shooting in a higher class then they are. If you can post a score of 430's in hc don't you think that it is time to move up to a higher class and challenge yourself to be a better shooter? Does anyone else have any opinions on this?

· Registered
33 Posts
Right on

Everyone I talk to about begining to compete starts in the HC. I always tell them that there are alot of sandbaggers, so don't expect to win right away. There are alot of "hunters" in this group that deserve to shoot in the class, however there are also "alot" of people using tricked out target equipment and stay in this class just so they can do well. They can't say it's the money involved in stepping up because they have top of the line everything on their " hunter class" bow.
I believe HC should be set up with a minimum number of years you are eligable to compete in this class. Then you either step up or you have to take a year off. Additionally once you step up there is no going back.
Just my opinion take it or leave it.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what i thought i never shot in the hunter class. I just started shooting MBR, I shot cleavland this weekend and got a 348 with 9 11's. Its nothing to shake a stick at but this was only my second indoor 3-d shoot ever.

· Registered
3,720 Posts
I think when scores are in the 430's the course is too easy. Throw some turkeys and rock rascals out at 35yrd and put a few nickels or eggs on the score cards. You want to talk about whining and crying.

There is no reason that I should go to the "Indoor Worlds" and shoot the highest score I've ever shot. The fact that our local indoor 3d circuit has more difficult target placements than this "world" event is beyond me. Don't get me wrong, it takes great skill to smoke 30-11's and I won't deny that I will never even try to compete with that. But I felt like I was given a "bail out" for a feel good score.

The event was great and run very well but I would like to see a truly world class challenge. Who'd be crying then.....probably both sides of the argument:darkbeer:

· Registered
527 Posts
first time at worlds, thought it was great, with only two lines and that many classes there has to be some give and take. pretty long shots for trd and ahc but short for shc,hc and mbo. i have always looked at it no matter how the course is set the better shooter still get to the top.
go spartans!

· Registered
1,653 Posts
The guy who shot a 430 can challenge himself to shoot a 435. After all he missed 10 x's. The ideal that you have to shoot longer distances to challenge yourself makes know sense. Thats like saying I shot a 300x60 so now I have to do it at 25 yards or im not challenging myself.
IBO is an equipment based organization. You can pick any class and shoot it as long as your equipment is legal.
It sounds like the asa mite be something you should check into.
Calling someone a sandbagger when they did nothing wrong is bull crap. I think that makes you a sore loser.

· Registered
3,720 Posts
The guy who shot a 430 can challenge himself to shoot a 435. After all he missed 10 x's. The ideal that you have to shoot longer distances to challenge yourself makes know sense. Thats like saying I shot a 300x60 so now I have to do it at 25 yards or im not challenging myself.
IBO is an equipment based organization. You can pick any class and shoot it as long as your equipment is legal.
It sounds like the asa mite be something you should check into.
Calling someone a sandbagger when they did nothing wrong is bull crap. I think that makes you a sore loser.
There are many different ways to look at things. You have your perspective and others have theirs. Sandbagger was likely the wrong word to use by the OP. I guess I do like to challenge myself with difficult circumstances like engaging in this conversation. I will stand by my statement, when local shoots are more difficult than a "Worlds" shoot, the name loses it's luster. I went and had a lot of fun and met some good people. Are you still having fun at it? Because you sure are defensive.

· Registered
372 Posts
why is it that this always comes up?

A guy shows up to shoot. Let's say he has his trusty katera or what he hunts with. He has a 12" stabilizzer and his pin sight. He is in the hunter class. Who gives a fat rats ars if he shoots up. He has brought his equiptment that he has and is comfortable with. If he is better than me, you or anyone else, pat him on the back and congradulate him for a job well done. He may or may not be able to shoot other equiptment in another class but he is doing well where he is at and my hat is off to him. Just my 2 cents, andy

· Registered
2,115 Posts
Everyone I talk to about begining to compete starts in the HC. I always tell them that there are alot of sandbaggers, so don't expect to win right away. There are alot of "hunters" in this group that deserve to shoot in the class, however there are also "alot" of people using tricked out target equipment and stay in this class just so they can do well. They can't say it's the money involved in stepping up because they have top of the line everything on their " hunter class" bow.
I believe HC should be set up with a minimum number of years you are eligable to compete in this class. Then you either step up or you have to take a year off. Additionally once you step up there is no going back.
Just my opinion take it or leave it.

Tricked out target equipment? Everyone shoots the same equipment in each class. If by "tricked out" you mean a target color bow in the hunter class then you need to work on your excuses...

I do agree people need to move up quicker in classes if they start running away with the winnings all the time...but what ever is you are having fn who cares..

· 12's R Good
5,019 Posts
Its always been my view that shooters win not equipment. When you lose its not the shooters fault who shot good its yours for not shoot good enough. I shoot a scope personally but I had to hear that sandbagging crap when I shot pins. Basically works like this practice, shoot better and then it won't matter what joeblow shoots.

· Registered
199 Posts
I do agree people need to move up quicker in classes if they start running away with the winnings all the time...but what ever is you are having fn who cares..
Why? It's not up to them to make you shoot better at a match. It's up to you to practice more and beat them. As long as they are using the gear within the rules they can shoot whatever class they want.

What next? Is it going to be like kids T Ball in that everyone gets a trophy so people don't feel bad about losing? There can be only one winner. Hard work and practice will do more at making that you than complaining about someone else winning. I shoot competitive rifle and hear the same stuff there from people who aren't winning. Everyone starts lower but how high has to do with you and not others. I used to be in the middle of the pack in shooting but now I am usually in the top 5 and have wins under my belt which came from me hitting the range alot more and practicing.

I agree with Bow Legged and MX614.

· Registered
2,855 Posts
The HC class is undoubtly the most competitive and hardest class to place in and win. Guys that shoot national level competition are there to win.

If you want to play the game challenge yourself more and raise your game level rather than call them sandbaggers.

· Registered
48 Posts
the idea of the hunter class was to introduce new people into the sport of archery and try to keep them it wasnt meant for shooting great scores

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Anyone that thinks HC shooters are sandbaggers, go to a IBO shoot and try to win.
Nobody is sandbagging they all are shooting the best they can. In HC you better be a shooter to be in the top 30. They all know it's tough. If you are going to win on the National level, there is no place to hide. Most of the time that I hear this, it people that shoot a couple hours a week. If you are going to shoot 32 up, you better shoot a couple hours a day. I have nothing but respect for HC and MBO, If you win in one of those classes you put the time in to earn it IMHO.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.