Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you that hunt and either rent or lease land, own land, use in-laws for hunting, let the deer have a safe place where no one hunts them or disturbs them to keep them on hunting area. It can be small or large but it is restricted to letting deer have a safe area. We have a small island on our land for this purpose, just a few acres. I used to be on the other side of the river that boders three sides of our land and now the river changed and cut around it due to a super log jam, and now the island is on our side but we do not hunt it. And since the river changed we can walk across to it. All we do is scout the old channel where it use to flow for where the deer go back and forth from the island to our land. Steady :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
359 Posts
We have an area like that. I have heard that this theory will work to keep deer around. If they have a place to refuge close by you might have a better chance of not chasing a buck to the next county.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,981 Posts
okdogdoc has a good sanctuary on his property...he walked through it one time just to see what it looked like when he first bought it...

it is on the south end of the property....think he has about 160 acres total, no idea how much is the sanctuary....

I hunt on public land so I have no way of setting up a sanctuary :tongue:

·
Registered
441 Posts
yep jose--it is 160 acres and I have about 15 acres of it dedicated to a sanctuary. I am a firm believer that a sancturay is the most important thing to have on your land for deer. If you want them to spend time on land then they MUST have a place to feel secure---run to when threatened and not pushed from that place. I me be a little more anal than most but when I purchased my 160 acres 2 years ago i entered that area once--very very thick with deer trails scattered all in it. There are a few natural clearings with sumac bushes in the clearings that make great bedding areas. i even think the sanctuaries are more important than the food plots I have on my land.

todd

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own 80 acres in SW Iowa. I only have 2 patches of timber on my place. 1 is about 5 acres and the other is about 2 acres. Both are heavy cedars and thick. The rest of my place is open fields and my neighbors farms are all agricultural. I bought this place back in 98 and soon noticed the deer had plenty of food but hardly any cover. My 2 patches of timber have been off limits every since. The only time we go in there is if we are bloodtrailing a deer. Before I bought the place we had shotgun hunters party hunting and driving through the timber pushing deer out. They still do that with the timber around my place but not on my place. When I started out, we only had 2 or 3 does on here and no bucks. Last year I missed a 40 yard shot on a 156 inch buck. (my neighbor's friend got him with a muzzleloader) This year I've got sheds from my place that are over 60 inches. I think that proves the point. Deer will beyond the shadow of a doubt live in places where they are not pressured, provided that their other needs are not too far away.

·
Registered
332 Posts
the place i hunt most often does have a section that we leave alone. it isn't big(whole place is only 100 acres) but we feel it's important that they have at least SOMEWHERE they can go and not worry about hunting pressure.

·
Registered
844 Posts
We have a place about 350 acres. During last hunting season, the back 150 acres were "off limits". Prior to last year, there was no "off limits" area. We easily saw 3 times the number of deer after giving them a safe-zone. It was VERY noticable later in the season when the deer were starting to feel pressure from surrounding areas. After seeing these results, this will be standard practice from now on.

·
Only visiting this planet
4,270 Posts
My friends place is 240 acres. He doesn't hunt and I'm the only one he will allow on there.
I'm restricted to the south 80 acres, but once or twice in the last 5yrs have walked through the bedding area in the north. It's thick with deer sign.

During bow season I don't notice much impact becasue of the low hunter density in surrounding properties. However, I'll bet $1 that if I hunted this place with bow in the week after rifle season, or during rifle season, I would see the benefits of having a sanctuary area just next to me.

Of course, I'm already tagged out by then... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.