Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well long story short, I seen these bucks bed down along some railway track, roughly 300 yards from my front step none the less! So i figured it would be good practice to try and get closer for some pictures. I managed to get within 20 yards of these 3 before they spooked/probably caught a bit of my scent. So my next question would be how big is the biggest buck of the group? I grew up hunting whitetail in Manitoba so I am pretty oblivious to the Sizes of Mule Deer. They all look big to me! Season starts on September 1st but I dont have a tag for this zone, the GF does though! Anywho have a great day fellas!!

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wow!!! He's a bomber, just a quick guess he's north of 180".

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
nice big bucks ,good luck

·
sdebrot
385 Posts
2 of the 3 are nice bucks that I wouldn't hesitate to shoot.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,398 Posts
That one in the middle definitely, has nice deep forks....I'm going to say, 170, 175.... that one on the left is nothing to Sneeze at either....good luck to your gf.....:thumbs_up:darkbeer:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Definately, a shooter who cares what he will score, super deer i saw 4 last night on the way home from scouting. love seeing those bucks in velvet. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
good group of bucks. thanks for sharing the pictures. the middle buck will probably be around 175-180. great looking buck.

typically muleys that have big deep front forks will score better than those that don't. obviously width, tine length, and mass matter as far as score goes.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
With deep wide backs to match his fronts i would say over 180" by a bit. Very cemetrical!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tonight was almost unbearable! Danielle and I were shooting our bows out front and she spots the same 3 bucks out in the same wheat field! After we put the bows away they manage to work to 70 from my front steps! Hopefully we will have field photos thursday morning!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
sounds like your home might make a good blind. make sure you make your first hunt/stalk count...you may only get one chance at them. GOOD LUCK! hope to see some harvest photos soon...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Middle buck looks 180, but without velvet I'm betting he comes in around 175. Nice bucks, I'd hammer 2 of the 3.

Kirby

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm deff no expert, but I think some of the scores on the biggest buck are a bit lofty. Yes he has very nice back forks and good fronts, but he is only 23"-24" wide, and is not going to have much mass after the velvet comes off. I'd guess him as a mid 160's. Which is deff a shooter with a bow for anybody as far as I'm concerned. Tough to turn down a buck that makes P&Y by 20+ inches.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We never managed to get out, damn work got in the way! The bucks are still in the area though, I found there tracks 1 mile east of my house. Hopefully I ll have a update soon!

·
Registered
859 Posts
where abouts in sask are they? maybe i can help out....lol very nice bucks and good luck with hunting them

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice pics, beautiful bucks, have fun relocating them

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: we have been watching them for about 3 days but the conditions just werent right for a stalk. Today we finally got the south wind we needed but of course the bucks were no where to be found first thing in the morning. Fastforward to 1 hr ago and we finally spot them in the headlights on the side of the road, roughly 1 mile east of our place! Apparently they can hide really well! We are heading out bright and early tomorrow morning to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts