Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a hunting trip in the backcountry of Unit 82, Colorado (near Gardner) and want to take along a rented satellite phone. Does anyone have a recommendation of a phone and a company that rents them?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I would recommend calling the local mountaineering shop and talk to them. That's how a buddy of mine got in touch with a satphone rental.

Good luck. I love hunting backcountry it just so hard to get the time off work to do a real hunt I'm limited to 3 dayers max.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I just bought an inmarsat phone. It needs line of sight to the south, since it's satelites sit on the equator. Cheaper, good reception, faster acquisition of signal when clear to the South. Doesn't have coverage in some very small corners of the planet.

Iridium phones, more expensive (rental, purchase, and talk fees), coverage on every inch of the globe, take longer to get a signal, but the satelites are higher in space and easier to acquire.

When I was thinking about renting one instead of buying, I went to SatellitePhoneRentals.org, and they had the best rental prices that I found. You're probably looking at $150 or so for a week when it's all said and done with. Not bad for peace of mind.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just heard that spot has a new unit out that allows you to send texts out via their service. It's a one time purchase for the Unit itself. Plus the monthly fee for spot. Don't know if you can do voice on it tho but a friend of mine is ordering one so I'll let you know if he likes it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Just heard that spot has a new unit out that allows you to send texts out via their service. It's a one time purchase for the Unit itself. Plus the monthly fee for spot. Don't know if you can do voice on it tho but a friend of mine is ordering one so I'll let you know if he likes it.
Which one is he getting?
I have a SPOT Connect that talks to your cell phone and sends texts like you are referring to.
Not worth the money.

Review I wrote:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1565746&highlight=SPOT

I am now trying out the Spot that comes with the Delorme GPS (PN-60w) that has the same functionality.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with regular cell phone (Verizon) service in the Gardner area.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had pretty good luck with regular cell phone (Verizon) service in the Gardner area.
Yeah, I have Verizon as well. I can get service from certain peaks, but not most of the area that I hunt.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh well, I guess that the spot connect isn't all that great!

I sometimes take the girl friends phone cause she's on a different network than me so atleast I can double my chances of getting word out!

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Oh well, I guess that the spot connect isn't all that great!

I sometimes take the girl friends phone cause she's on a different network than me so atleast I can double my chances of getting word out!
Don't waste your money on anything that SPOT puts out. Go online and read some SPOT Reviews from people that spend a lot of time in remote places.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts