Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever shot this rest? What are your thoughts on it? I just bought one and am putting it on my target rig. I am kind of intrigued on the magnetic setup. Any responses will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody? I can't be the only one who has one of these. Any input appreciated, whether good or bad.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I used one for a while and it seemed to work O.K. I found that you have to set it pretty light to insure a good drop then you have to draw your bow real easy to prevent premature drop.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've used one

You always have to remember to reset it. If you don't, you'll shoot very low. That will mean dropped points ya know.......

-Chief

·
Registered
443 Posts
I shot one for two seasons on my hunting set up. Worked as advertised with my 384 grain ACCs. When I was doing some testing with heavier 500+ grain arrows, I did experience some of the problems mentioned above, but I'm confident it could have been easily rectified by increasing the spring tension, which I did not do as I had no intent to shoot that heavy of an arrow.

As for remembering to re-set it, it becomes second nature very quickly. I'm shooting a WB this season (wanted to try one out), and although I've been flinging arrows through it for 3 months now, I still catch myself trying to reset it after the shot :)

If you try this rest, I highly recommend the V spoon launcher option.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got it all set up. I noticed that you are supposed to leave the rubber tubing on the metal rod where it contacts the magnet. I'm guessing that is so the attraction isn't so powerful as to not let it drop. I shot it a little bit at about 10 feet. It seems to work pretty well so far. I did notice that the arrow wants to fall off really easy (using 2512). When I set it up for 3-D next summer I will be using my 3-49 ACC's. I'm sure those will set down in the V a little bit more.

I wouldn't want to use it for hunting. If I do decide to put a drop-away on my hunting bow, I think I will go with the Mach 4. I don't remember who makes it, I think Montana Black Gold. It is activated by inertia, which seems better to me. I don't want a cord on my rest attached to my cable. That just seems like something to go wrong at the most unopportune time.

Thanks for the replies. :D

·
Registered
53,329 Posts
Inertia style rests are a real pain in the butt to set up the timing on. I would go with the cord style if set up right they are no problems at all. I like the Drop Zone by trophy Ridge and the trophy taker.:D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
savage drop-away

got one on my LX' , truly luv-it.
re-setting the launcher becomes second nature... I've seen some with the trophy takers & they had some problems with fletching contact with the cord-at release.(maybe not all)
using mine for targets & have experienced no fletching contact.

just a simple,not to pricey/guaranteed drop every-time(no problems with a early drop) & I have no plans of going to anything else(why)

hope you enjoy your Savage Drop, & take care: d'x

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies, both positive and negative. I haven't played with it much, but hope to shoot some spots maybe this weekend, if I get the chance. My girlfriend is moving in with me, so I don't know how much time I'll have to myself. :D

She should be pretty cool about it all. She sat outside on the lawn one day about a month ago and watched me shoot my broadheads. I'll have to see if I can get her interested in shooting. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.