Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the wind was swirling so bad we opted to observe for a night. 6:20 a spike and tall 8 come out and continue to look behind them. Then out pops a very nice, and very wide 9 pointer. Outside the ears, so in my book a shooter. He looked like he took a tour of the Herseys chocolate factory becasue I have never EVER seen a deer that dark before. His head, fur, rack even the white on him was dingy.

So long story short and your opinions are greatly needed. How would you all go about bagging this guy, sneak into the area you believe he is in, or spend more time watching from a distance and try to pattern him. My Uncle wants the later one and I want to go into the swamp area ( which we have not hunted in over 8 years) sneak in and become the wolf so to speak.

ANY help would be appreciated, as I am heading back up there on Wednesday night.

Mike

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Most likely you aren't going to get the drop on him in his core area sneaking in. You need to take a little time to pattern him. Be patient and don't "overhunt" him too early in the season. Listen to your uncle...he has experience under his belt.
Good luck to the both of you.

·
Registered
645 Posts
i would watch him one more time,and if he comes out in the same area,go in and setup,mabye find a trail that he is using,and hunt him,if you dont get him that time,you may just see whre he is going,then you can move to him.this method had worked the best for me.good luck!:wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im with coulter, Id set-up where ya saw him. Although i wouldnt overhunt the spot. Make sure you have good wind direction and go for it............

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, I would hate to spoke him over to the neighbors house. I will set up across the field and see if I can see where he is coming from.

Mike

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the spelling looked goofy to me. Thank you for pointing it out, I must of been very tired last night. Sorry.

Mike

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I would definately set up where I saw him last, and glassing the field for one more night to see if he comes out in the same place would be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I would definately set up where I saw him last, and glassing the field for one more night to see if he comes out in the same place would be a good idea.

·
Registered
493 Posts
This may be different from what most folks will tell you, but watch this deer for some time, and know his pattern. While you're in the area, find the largest consentration of doe travel, and doe bedding areas. Find funnels between the bucks estimated core area, and the doe travel areas/bedding areas. Come pre-rut, hunt only good winds in stands hung between his core area, and the doe areas. He will be scraping and rubbing during this time waiting for the does to come into heat. Pre-rut, that buck will be on his feet and patternable more during the day, than at any other time of the year. The two weeks before the rut, you will see this buck, and don't be afraid to hunt mid day, but especially hunt mornings.

During the rut he will be moving, but it will not be as dependable a pattern as in pre-rut, when he is marking up his territory, and wandering doe trails in the mornings, looking for that first hot doe. If you need help, try doe in heat a week before the rut, IF you are good with scent control.

During the rut, he could be anywhere, but will be with a doe. Very hard to pattern a particular buck at this time, but they are all moving...somewhere.

Good luck.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree with what Dave said. That is most patternable time to kill a big buck. The key to that is knowing where he is bedding,getting close to that and making sure the wind is in the right direction. It might be good to go and set the stands to hunt him right now, make sure you make a decent amount of noise when you do it now so he will know exactly where you are. Then stay a long away from the whole area until late Oct. when you come back to kill him.

·
Registered
782 Posts
mike2112 said:
Since the wind was swirling so bad we opted to observe for a night. 6:20 a spike and tall 8 come out and continue to look behind them. Then out pops a very nice, and very wide 9 pointer. Outside the ears, so in my book a shooter. He looked like he took a tour of the Herseys chocolate factory becasue I have never EVER seen a deer that dark before. His head, fur, rack even the white on him was dingy.

So long story short and your opinions are greatly needed. How would you all go about bagging this guy, sneak into the area you believe he is in, or spend more time watching from a distance and try to pattern him. My Uncle wants the later one and I want to go into the swamp area ( which we have not hunted in over 8 years) sneak in and become the wolf so to speak.

ANY help would be appreciated, as I am heading back up there on Wednesday night.

Mike

I would take my time and pattern him, I would also see where the does are as well because when the rut hits he is definitly going to visit the ladies, that may be your best chance of getting him. He's bound to make a few mistakes during the rut you just have to be in the right place... Good LUCK:darkbeer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts