Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into planting a lot of different kinds of trees on the less desirable areas of my farm. I had planned on planting a variety of different native oak trees when I came across the sawtooth oak. Just curious what everybody's views are on the Sawtooth Oak trees. Maybe they cant even be grwon in Iowa? Where is the best place to get them? Any advice would be GREAT! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I can tell you we have them in the SE. I have no clue whether or not they grow in Iowa. I'm from MN , but never paid attention.

They are fast growing and yield fruit after about 3 years from what I've been told. I have a couple small ones in my yard and the acorns are forming right now.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Go to www.qdma.com and then the forums. There is some good info there both pros and cons as well. Some guys say that they are an invasive non-native species and shouldn't be planted. But I think I'm gonna take my chances. Check it out it's very informative over there.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,261 Posts
The club I just joined has several and the property owner swears they are deer magnets. They produce mast at an early age and the deer here are all ready tearing the ground up underneath the trees getting the ones that are dropping early. The only thing I don't know is IF they grow in your area? I live in the northwest part of SC and they do well here.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine are doing well in Ohio. I planted the Gobbler Sawtooth Oak. No acorns yet, I planted the trees 6 years ago, and they are supposed to start producing in 5-8 years. I have a few that are pushing 10-12 feet high.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
They should do OK in Iowa. I know they do fine here in PA. In their northern range (which would include Iowa) they generally take 10 years to produce decent mast. You may also want to investigate the Dwarf Chinkapin Oak. It is actually a white oak shrub, so it can also provide cover and it is said that it can produce acorns in as little as 3-4 years. It is THE FASTEST producer of acorns of any oak.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Bump

Has anyone had any sucess in Mid (lower Penninsula) Michigan with these Oaks. I'd love to plant a few but I am right on the fringe of their northern range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts