Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Administrator
65,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had a recent uptick in scammers trying to take advantage of our members using the classifieds. Please be very wary of anyone that says 'I have a friend', 'Call this guy, he has what you are looking for', etc.... Some are using pm's to contact other members, most have zero post history and are new members. Some are targeting those who are posting WTB ads in particular.

Please read the rules of posting in the classifieds and pay particular attention to the sections that detail communication with the other party. Get a phone number and physically speak to the other party. Get their address information, etc... DO NOT deal with them if they are not being open and honest about these details. You can always forward any communications by email or pm to one of the mods/admins here and we will deal with any suspected scammers asap.

Please be vigilant, especially in these trying times. :yo:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
jamesmarcush3 Is a scammer I posted an add looking for some sticks and he sent a pm with cell number I texted him and he sent me a picture of exactly what I was looking for. A quick google search and voila the second picture to pop up was pictures of hawk helium sticks from a DIY post on saddlehunter.com. I pmed Lou but wanted to put it here as well

·
Registered
797 Posts
A quick way to circumvent folks not having an item they are posting for "sale" would be to either require, or otherwise as a grass roots thing, have folks post pictures of said item with their username simply written on a piece of paper in the picture with the items. Prevents re-use of photos since it ties that picture to a user.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
A quick way to circumvent folks not having an item they are posting for "sale" would be to either require, or otherwise as a grass roots thing, have folks post pictures of said item with their username simply written on a piece of paper in the picture with the items. Prevents re-use of photos since it ties that picture to a user.
Most of the guys in the first lite group in Facebook do this name and date on a piece of paper on the item. Problem was the pictures he sent me were from a post where a guy showed how he modded his stick and was showing what he did.

·
Administrator
65,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may also find the photos they are using by doing a quick google image search. Most are just copy/pasting public images. Get their phone number and call and speak with them. Get their home address. This is all spelled out here in the rules posted in the classifieds. It's mostly just basic common sense and a little effort to spare being hijacked by an unscrupulous party.

Copy and pasted from the classifieds rules -

23. Pay Pal gift or Pay Pal Friends and Family payment options are not allowed. Requesting such payment will result in your thread being deleted, multiple offenders will receive an infraction and could have their classified permissions removed.

Buyers:

24. Before you say you will purchase an item, check and read the feedback of the seller. You may wish to avoid this member if there are any questionable deals, excessive shipping delays or misrepresented products that have not been explained. Check the Traders Black List.

25. Ask for pictures, condition or defects before committing to the purchase.

26. Get a phone number and actually speak with the seller.

Tips to avoid Rip Offs and what to do first if you think it has happened to you:

1) Always ship with insurance and tracking #'s. If shipping expensive items, ship with delivery confirmation, at a minimum.
2) Know your shipper's terms of service. For example, FedEx Ground states under Liabilities Not Assumed what they will not be held liable for.
3) Always ask for a real name and home address and phone number, especially when trading with somebody who is unknown or has bad feedback.
4) Always do a search on a trader if you are unsure of their credibility.
5) If you do not receive the goods/money right away, email the other trader, and request action. If paid by check, wait until money clears before shipment and make copy of check.
6) If said trader does not respond in two working days, email again. Be patient.
7) If said trader does not respond within one week, contact a classifieds moderator. They are established traders with a lot of experience who work across several forums chasing thieves and other bad traders and helping to resolve trading disputes. They run the AT Classifieds.
8) Please do not jump to conclusions until a reasonable amount of time has passed. Two weeks with no response is a sure bet that something is wrong.
9) Do not make decisions while you are upset. Only post or email us after you have calmed down. This is most important. Making decisions while enraged will not help your cause; it can only hurt it.
10) Do not post derogatory remarks about said trader. Instead, post your situation in a calm and friendly manner. Flaming will only raise tempers, hurting your chance of getting your goods or money back.
11) Ask if anyone else has had trouble with said trader. It is always good to know as much as possible when trading with someone, especially if you think you got ripped by that person.
12) If said trader does not rectify situation and action is required, post a negative i-Trader Feedback for said trader.
13) If said trader does not rectify situation and action is required, we will post a thread in ?Traders Blacklist?. If said trader straightens out the mess he/she has created and everyone who is involved is satisfied, we will delete and/or retract the statement.
14) Please use common sense when trading.
15) You can file complaints about Internet fraud directly with the FBI at their Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC).
16) Post i-Trader Feedback for your deals, especially if requested to do so by the other trader. If you were treated well, a good feedback is part of the deal, and the trader has earned it. If you were not treated well, other traders need to know what went wrong.
17) Utilize Google to search the member?s name, user name, email address and phone number. You could easily find out whether they are scamming or not. There are other investigative tools online you could use also.

Last but not least............
18) Be nice and courteous, nobody likes to be spoken to in a RUDE manner.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
As it seems many/most of these scammers identified don't meet the minimum requirements for dealing in the classifieds anyway, perhaps a concerted effort/drive to simply inform these members you won't deal with someone who has worked around the intent of the rules we could police these actions. Just an extra precaution I personally try to follow anyway...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I personally am not a scammer. I would like to look at the classifieds and I'm unable to view them until I post 20 times this is not an unattainable goal I just prefer to read the posts and see what people are talking about in the archery world.
Sometimes I find opinions weather my own or somebody else's to be just that an opinion and unfortunately most post I read have a lot of opinion and a small percentage of fact. Well personal experience speaks for a lot when replying to a post I commend everyone in this form for trying to keep it very professional and trying to keep the forum free of scammers.

·
Administrator
65,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is true of many of our members. They would not post if it weren't a requirement to participate in the classifieds. We understand that and respect that, many are here just to lurk and do some buying/selling in the classifieds. Those who take the time to get their 20 posts or so in will probably be received much better than those who have no posts when it comes to dealing with others in the classifieds. That history that members can use to get a feel for who they are dealing with is really helpful. One can learn much by just reading other's posts.

We also highly recommend a phone conversation with the other party. I can paint all the pictures I want, but when it gets right down to it, speaking with someone in person is hard to beat, even if it's just over the phone. Do your research so in the event that you might have issues with a deal, you have information to help that cause.

·
Registered
25 Posts
jamesmarcush3 Is a scammer I posted an add looking for some sticks and he sent a pm with cell number I texted him and he sent me a picture of exactly what I was looking for. A quick google search and voila the second picture to pop up was pictures of hawk helium sticks from a DIY post on saddlehunter.com. I pmed Lou but wanted to put it here as well
I agree Jamesmarcush3 cannot be trusted. I was looking for PSE ME cams and he quoted me US150. We managed to agree on US125 finally and he asked me to send him money immediately. I requested for Paypal payment but he claimed he couldn't as he can only accept Zelle, Venmo or Cashapp which I have no protection over.
Finally I requested for pics of the ME cams and he sent me something totally different.
Deal was called off immediately

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Got a guy trying to buy my Prevail. He's had 3 post all together and all in the classifieds. Pathfinder888 is his handle. Could be a glitch in the system not showing but 3 post (which I looked up individually). Sent the information to the mods. Hopefully they figure this out. If he's legit please delete this post.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I just received the second PM from a Scammer this week, doing the exact same thing as the one a few days ago. Almost word for word as the last time, says his friend has a set of limbs like I posted in my WTB ad and gives me an email to contact "his friend". Like the last scammer I reported, this guy joined TODAY. Here is the PM they sent me:

Today, 03:17 PMmixstadanisce

PSE 981 #20 deflection limbs
I have a friend that have PSE 981 #20 deflection limbs you can contact him if you're still interested [email protected]

Thanks
Sent from my Infinix X653 using Tapatalk

I wanted to make sure I got this out before he scammed someone.

DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH PEOPLE THAT HAVE JUST JOINED AT!

Report these low lifes to a moderator immediately.

I can't imagine anyone being dumb enough to fall for this, but I'm sure some folks do.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
bill1617 potential scammer. 0 post but pm'd ne "His friend has a sight housing I'm looking for, heres his gmail".....:confused: fits the above descriptions of scammers

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Mods, first thank you for keeping on top of this new trend...

Question- Would it be possible to put a "description," sort of like the

"This is the main meeting place for archers around the world..." message in the General forum, warning against dealing with someone who doesn't meet classifieds requirements? I know it's a sticky at least here, but more people may be warned if they don't have to click on a thread...

Thanks again for your work on this.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Thanks Mods for keeping up with this.

1 - 20 of 337 Posts