Archery Talk Forum banner

261 - 280 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
All of the scamming reports are super scary but I’m glad this forum tries to help us against this sad behavior. I pm’d someone who had a WTB before reading this thread and hopefully I wasn’t reported as a scammer! It’s a new hobby for me that quite frankly I tried to avoid knowing I’d go through a lot of gear and expenses. I like to buy, try and sell to gain experience with different equipment, and have been an eBayer for a long time. Sad to hear of so many scamming efforts when we used to be able to honestly buy and sell without so much worry.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've bought 2 bows on here in the past and both were great experiences. Maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
22 Posts
All of the scamming reports are super scary but I’m glad this forum tries to help us against this sad behavior. I pm’d someone who had a WTB before reading this thread and hopefully I wasn’t reported as a scammer! It’s a new hobby for me that quite frankly I tried to avoid knowing I’d go through a lot of gear and expenses. I like to buy, try and sell to gain experience with different equipment, and have been an eBayer for a long time. Sad to hear of so many scamming efforts when we used to be able to honestly buy and sell without so much worry.
I hear that. I guess it's a totally different world we live in now!

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
New member, "[email protected]))%" searching/posting in the classifieds and admits to being only fifteen years old.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thanks for that little trick with the triangle in the bottom corner of the pm.
I didn’t know that is how that worked

·
Registered
219 Posts
I recently posted a WTB post when I was looking for a tree saddle stand. I got lots of scammers. All 4 of the “members” had zero posts or activity; and their accounts were no more than 1 week old. 2 of them gave me their phone numbers so I started texting back and forth. It got MAJOR sketchy when one refused PayPal.

The other sent me pics of the tree stand, and I felt like I’ve seen the pics before. SURE enough, I went to Ebay and saw the exact same pics! I sent the person screenshots of the Ebay post and they got even more weird saying that “their friend” must have posted it on EBay to help sell.

JUST BE CAUTIOUS! Always use PayPal Goods and Services (G&S) because this protects buyer and seller from lost money or items! If you feel like something is off, just walk away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
A quick way to circumvent folks not having an item they are posting for "sale" would be to either require, or otherwise as a grass roots thing, have folks post pictures of said item with their username simply written on a piece of paper in the picture with the items. Prevents re-use of photos since it ties that picture to a user.
Good idea

·
Registered
62 Posts
I support the rules you have in place, but on the flip side, it does create challenges for new users like myself. I found archery talk while searching for used bows. I knew there had to be a better community and market place than the few sites I saw initially. My other hobbies have communities and marketplaces online where I have purchased and sold used goods. Archery Talk looks like this community. Unfortunately for me and the seller(s) of the equipment I want to buy is I'm in the market for a bow right now. I'll likely own one before my 2 weeks is up. The only way to "get around" the user rules is via PM and texting, which is a flag for a possible scammer. If my local dealers had any bows in stock, I would own one already.

The other challenge is I am new (again) to archery since its' been 25+ years since I shot a bow regularly. It's hard to post 20 times on a topic I have very limited and dated experience in. I've watched a ton of youtube videos on many archery topics, but that doesn't qualify as experience to contribute to a post.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I support the rules you have in place, but on the flip side, it does create challenges for new users like myself. I found archery talk while searching for used bows. I knew there had to be a better community and market place than the few sites I saw initially. My other hobbies have communities and marketplaces online where I have purchased and sold used goods. Archery Talk looks like this community. Unfortunately for me and the seller(s) of the equipment I want to buy is I'm in the market for a bow right now. I'll likely own one before my 2 weeks is up. The only way to "get around" the user rules is via PM and texting, which is a flag for a possible scammer. If my local dealers had any bows in stock, I would own one already.

The other challenge is I am new (again) to archery since its' been 25+ years since I shot a bow regularly. It's hard to post 20 times on a topic I have very limited and dated experience in. I've watched a ton of youtube videos on many archery topics, but that doesn't qualify as experience to contribute to a post.
Best advise is to post and ask questions, it establishes you as a legit user.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Best advise is to post and ask questions, it establishes you as a legit user.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I haven't seen it here yet, but definitely I see it everywhere in other forums. When a NOOB joins and asks all the common questions that have been asked and answered 1000 times, the common answer is to "try the search function". my approach has been try the search function before asking the same questions, but definitely see the need to establish myself as legit.

·
Registered
Bows and arrows and guns.
3 Posts
We have had a recent uptick in scammers trying to take advantage of our members using the classifieds. Please be very wary of anyone that says 'I have a friend', 'Call this guy, he has what you are looking for', etc.... Some are using pm's to contact other members, most have zero post history and are new members. Some are targeting those who are posting WTB ads in particular.

Please read the rules of posting in the classifieds and pay particular attention to the sections that detail communication with the other party. Get a phone number and physically speak to the other party. Get their address information, etc... DO NOT deal with them if they are not being open and honest about these details. You can always forward any communications by email or pm to one of the mods/admins here and we will deal with any suspected scammers asap.

Please be vigilant, especially in these trying times. :yo:
How many posts do we need to make before we can comment on the classified section? I’d like to buy a new bow on here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hate scammers as well. They probably work just as hard trying to scam individuals as they would work at full time job. Heck, maybe they do have a full time job and scamming is their side gig.

Personally I like to lurk. I try to read, digest the information being presented, and hopefully increase my knowledge of a particular subject. However, when AT requires 20 post to participate in the classifieds then if forces me to interject myself into a conversation where I have limited knowledge. Dont get me wrong, I understand why AT has this standard but I prefer to take part in a converation once I have acquired some knowledge and experience.

·
Rattle Yer Head!
1,257 Posts
I hate scammers as well. They probably work just as hard trying to scam individuals as they would work at full time job. Heck, maybe they do have a full time job and scamming is their side gig.

Personally I like to lurk. I try to read, digest the information being presented, and hopefully increase my knowledge of a particular subject. However, when AT requires 20 post to participate in the classifieds then if forces me to interject myself into a conversation where I have limited knowledge. Dont get me wrong, I understand why AT has this standard but I prefer to take part in a converation once I have acquired some knowledge and experience.
There are approximately 60 forums sections that comprise Archerytalk, not counting all the additional sub forums. I find it very hard to believe that you and everyone else in your situation cannot find something to comment on throughout this website. You have been registered for 12 days now and this is your first post. What have you been doing in the interim? There is nothing that you can't even add a simple comment to? because I've got news for you, the rules are not going to be forgiven for you. so have at it . Ask a question in a thread about something if you do not understand what's being discussed. you can't build credibility by being invisible. Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are approximately 60 forums sections that comprise Archerytalk, not counting all the additional sub forums. I find it very hard to believe that you and everyone else in your situation cannot find something to comment on throughout this website. You have been registered for 12 days now and this is your first post. What have you been doing in the interim? There is nothing that you can't even add a simple comment to? because I've got news for you, the rules are not going to be forgiven for you. so have at it . Ask a question in a thread about something if you do not understand what's being discussed. you can't build credibility by being invisible. Good luck
Wow, you came across as being pretty rude. I never said that I wanted to be exempt from the rules of AT but that is something your are insinuating which just isnt true. I am just returning to archery after be absent for about 25 years and I am happy to be on AT. I think it is a tremendous resource but I am not on here everyday since I have work, I have family, and other responsibilities. But yes, I have been registered for 12 days and I have been reading post and farmilerizing myself with the website and rules. If there is something wrong with doing so please let me know.

9,036 Posts
Watch out for:
AT Name: markroy1102
Phone: 605 646 3403
Email: [email protected]

New account, zero posts and magically has what I listed as WTB
.....and here is another one just like this:
Magically contacted me via pm with what I was looking for in the WTB.
AT Name: SmithDonovan888....the message went like this:
"...Left handed bowtech sr6 up for sale. Its 70lb bow i bought it in febuary pm me (754) 240-9309"
Went ahead and contacted him via text and he wants 150 ASAP...."Hey are you ready to buy"
1 post and joined 20 days ago. Tried to get his email for paypal but the only thing he would give up is "dannymak567" and when pressured he gave me another one "his brother" ..... "martinmauri"....and finally gave me [email protected] which is probably not correct.
Price is outstanding for an SR6
Please be careful folks.....wanted to get as much information as I could on him before posting this. Have already reported this to the moderators.
Fred

261 - 280 of 337 Posts