Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAD THE SCARE OF MY LIFE MONDAY WHILE MOVING A STAND.

Guess you can say that Im a bit hard headed when it comes to certain things. One of them is wearing a safety harness. So a freind and I go to mave a double man ladder stand that the wife and I have been sitting in for rifle season. I climb up undo the 1st ratchet strap roll it up and throw it down, I then udo the 2nd strap and when I released the strap the whole stans shifted and began to fall away from the tree with me on the platform. The center brace was still attached so I began to fall and the whole platform and ladder bent at a 90 degree angle and I fell approximaitly 10 feet to the ground. Luckily I was in area tha always seems to get the worst weather around, there was still 6 + inches of snow on the ground to cushion the fall.

I was alittle sore but escaped major injuries. I know that I'm getting a HSS for X-mas and wil refrain from moving anymore stands untill I have that.

WOW WHAT A SCARE

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
Glad to hear you are OK!:)

In this case, a safety harness may still have left you in a bad position...

When you put up ladder stands, do you use the supplied ropes to cross around the back of the tree and tie off to the ladder?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
glad you're ok man. one thing you can also do to help prevent that is taking some long ratchet straps and running them from the attachment points at the top, and run them around the back of the tree and hook them to the ladder on the opposite side. like an "X". once those are in place, you can remove the main strap(s) at the seat, climb back down, and then remove the X straps and take the stand down.

i do the same thing in reverse when setting up ladder stands. i hook the long straps to the top and let em hang until i get it where i want it. then i criss-cross em around the back of the tree and hook em to the ladder part and tighten em up. this keeps it somewhat stable enough to climb up and attach the "main" strap at the top. i always hated depending on that stabilizer bar to keep it in place before you get it strapped at the top. this way is much safer.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I also had a scare about 2 weeks ago. I stood up in my climber after hearing something coming at me fast, after standing up for 5-10 mins, i apparently started to lean on the climber. It let loose and spun, I was able to catch myself and didnt fall, but it would have been a long 25 ft down with out a harness. Im hoping to get one for xmas, I dont wanna have to dish out the 120$ :( being an unemployed college student sucks.

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
You know maybe we could start a harness donation program on here. I have a box with 3-4 of the full body ones I just don't use or need. I'm sure others do too. They're light and shipping would only be $5 or so. Maybe someone can take this and run with it.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,210 Posts
Glad you were o.k. Heard statistics like 1 in 3 bowhunters who hunt from treestands will experience a fall sometime during their hunting experiences. Scary odds that is for sure.

You will love the HSS vest.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You know maybe we could start a harness donation program on here. I have a box with 3-4 of the full body ones I just don't use or need. I'm sure others do too. They're light and shipping would only be $5 or so. Maybe someone can take this and run with it.

A good idea.I'd donate a few.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I also had a scare about 2 weeks ago. I stood up in my climber after hearing something coming at me fast, after standing up for 5-10 mins, i apparently started to lean on the climber. It let loose and spun, I was able to catch myself and didnt fall, but it would have been a long 25 ft down with out a harness. Im hoping to get one for xmas, I dont wanna have to dish out the 120$ :( being an unemployed college student sucks.
Start refereeing high school basketball games.

I did that and mowed about fifteen lawns while in college.

I was rich.

It's an easy way to pull in an extra 20k per year.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
HAD THE SCARE OF MY LIFE MONDAY WHILE MOVING A STAND.

Guess you can say that Im a bit hard headed when it comes to certain things. One of them is wearing a safety harness. So a freind and I go to mave a double man ladder stand that the wife and I have been sitting in for rifle season. I climb up undo the 1st ratchet strap roll it up and throw it down, I then udo the 2nd strap and when I released the strap the whole stans shifted and began to fall away from the tree with me on the platform. The center brace was still attached so I began to fall and the whole platform and ladder bent at a 90 degree angle and I fell approximaitly 10 feet to the ground. Luckily I was in area tha always seems to get the worst weather around, there was still 6 + inches of snow on the ground to cushion the fall.

I was alittle sore but escaped major injuries. I know that I'm getting a HSS for X-mas and wil refrain from moving anymore stands untill I have that.

WOW WHAT A SCARE
Exact thing happened to me years ago. My wake up call.

·
Registered
189 Posts

A good idea.I'd donate a few.
I did this last year on another site. I mailed out four of them to members that requested them across the country. Each one cost me $8.00 and change. I was happy to do it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
That's great (that you will start wearing a harness)

It's like a seatbelt. One you are used to wearing it, you don't notice it and you would feel strange without it.

I'd also suggest the HSS lineman's belt. It makes it easier toclimb, if you are using sticks or steps. Doesn't help much with a ladder, I suppose.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
While setting up a stand I had one let go.. Had a climbing harness on... Stopped me from falling 20 feet plus.. Got this when I came into the tree.. took a step to the knee... Sore.. but better than if I had fallen... By far...

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I get paid to get high LOL UNION IRONWORKER....I sure hope if I fall its at work and not out of a tree....the fall at work will pay my family lol...I too am a bone hean and dont harness up when hanging ladder stands, but also think in a ladder stand fall a harness will hunt you more.

question for you all....HOW LONG CAN YOU LIVE HANGING IN A HARNESS...answer will scare ya...

·
Registered
864 Posts
u where moving a ladder stand by yourself????

and how would an hss solve that problem??
His post said he & a friend were moving it.
Regarding how the hss would solve the problem. He stated he was on the platform. He could have been secured to the tree and not fallen.

I also have several extra harnesses. They are the ones that were supplied with my stands. May not be the hss, but they are better than nothing. I would gladly send one to someone who would use it.
And regarding how long you can live hanging in a harness. I will take my chances hanging as opposed to the sudden stop of hitting the ground. I try to keep a screw in tree step on me. If I fall, I hope that I could get the step in the tree and stand partially on it if I am unable to get back on my stand. May or may not work. Hope I don't have to test it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In answer to a couple questions......No I was not alone but there was nothing that my friend could to to help me once it went it went.

You know I did think of using to 2 ratchet strap X-method after this happened and I do believe that is how Im gonna do it in the future.

As far as a harness saving me from the fall, Im not sure how much it would of done for me but I CAN ASSURE YOU THAT IT SCARDE THE ***** OUT OF ME AND I WILL NOW BE WEARING ONE WHILE IN THE TREE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts