Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened many years ago. I was shooting slot of 3ds my bow was 80 lb with a cast riser I will leave the mtg out of this. Anyway one evening my friend and I were shooting spots indoor and I started having fly always so I ask him to watch my arrow flight. 3rd arrow a boom the riser broke at full draw just missing both of our heads it destroyed my stabilizer, sight and cams.Side note the mtg replaced the bow.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Remember when single cams with split limbs first cam out and a lot of bow makers hadn't figured out how to deal with the cam lean? I had a Reflex single cam and the cam lean was so bad that it derailed at full draw.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Back in 1985, at a match, I had a PSE Laser Magnum with a cast riser, break in my hand while at full draw. I was drawing 50 pounds. The top cam glanced off of my shirt buttons. No one got hurt. I had a new PSE Laser Magnum Express in my hands within a few days.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Sounds like an Oneida, we had a couple locally that broke in half at the grip.

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
No Riser but I had a top limb (I was at ful draw on a 50 yd field target) break off right at the riser & fly past my head. I was standing holding the riser, sting, cable & lowere limb. The arrow was a 4 in the target.. My real scariest moments have been hunting & 1000 times worse..

·
Back Yard Champion
30,489 Posts
Scary or we just didn't know what the Hxxx happened. Friend had his bow string break and parts flew all over, the limbs coming and flying around still attached by the cables. I had the same thing. At the shot it sounded like a .22 fired. String whipped around my hand and caused a long blood blister.

Scary was trying a customers bow and he had it down on draw weight and draw stops backed off. It stuck at full draw. It would let down. No problem holding it - no draw weight to speak of. Went a door opening and turned bow so cams touched. Sort held on the pulled the bow to make the limbs go forward. All was well, but walking around with a bow at full draw isn't something I want to do again.
Sticks and Strings, years ago, someone had a bow stuck at full draw. The owner laid the bow on floor near the target wall, with arrow nocked. Everyone got back. Took a while, but bow finally fired. Arrow stuck in the target wall base. No one hurt - just scared.........

·
Registered
94 Posts
One day shooting at my home range and had my neighbour come over with a mate that wanted to shoot my bow, and since i shot a back tension release he shot fingers and he must have turned his hand so bad and the bow derailed. got sooo scared but played it cool since we went to same school and he quickly left so i called my mate to see if he could pick it up and try re string it to see if it was alright. luckily it was and a new lesson learnt.

·
Registered
358 Posts
This happened many years ago. I was shooting slot of 3ds my bow was 80 lb with a cast riser I will leave the mtg out of this. Anyway one evening my friend and I were shooting spots indoor and I started having fly always so I ask him to watch my arrow flight. 3rd arrow a boom the riser broke at full draw just missing both of our heads it destroyed my stabilizer, sight and cams.Side note the mtg replaced the bow.
Did they replace your stabilizer, sight, and your heads too? Seems like they got off easy. That's a crazy story.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Did they replace your stabilizer, sight, and your heads too? Seems like they got off easy. That's a crazy story.
Back then the risers were cast. PSE was famous for breaking in the middle. They would pour the metal in to the mold from both ends so any bubble formed would end up in the center of the grip. I had a buddy whose bow broke in the middle at full draw, luckily not hurt, just scared, and swore off PSE. Since then bow companies machine the aluminum risers. I know Mathews forges the block to remove any bubbles and then CNC machines it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a cast riser break at the shelf, and after I took inventory of my wounds, the arrow had hit a target, cables and string wrapped around my wrist and the beautiful rosewood grip broken in half. Hunting season was only a week away and the shop after me complaining so much gave me a different riser to put on myself. Back when you could back the limb bolts out far enough to disassemble the bow. We have it pretty good now...

·
BIG FRANK....
8,583 Posts
I saw a guys riser break in half in Washington state, at a 3-D tournament in the 80s, it was a hoyt, he had it set at 90lbs..

·
Registered
7 Posts
What ended up being the cause of the failure? was it just a product default?

·
The Impartial Archer
19,211 Posts
I've got nothin'....it's BY FAR the most safe sport I have done.

Reactions: Jskeels73

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sometime back in the 80's, I was adjusting the draw weight on a PSE Laser Magnum, cast riser. The limb bolt stripped the threads in the riser. The limb flew past my nose, missing it by a couple of inches. (I now hold the bow away from my face when adjusting limb bolts.) Called PSE in Mahomet, IL, told me send it in. Two weeks later received a like new bow rebuilt with new riser. It wasn't uncommon for the cast risers to break, no matter which manufacturer. I've seen CNC machined risers with cracks, never seen one break.
Jennings had a cast riser with a honeycomb pattern, recall seeing a few of those break.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In '97 I was shooting the the National Collegiate Indoor shoot at Texas A&M.
One of our teammates had purchased a brand new Hoyt recurve. His bow blew up which sounded loud. I was at full draw and flinched.
When I opened my eyes, I was solid on the X so I punched it. Back then I probably could have punched a safety release.
Solid X...on the target next to me.
May not be as scary as some of y'alls but for a young me...I was rattled.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Had a bearing on a cam fail causing a partial derail, scared the heck out of me. I also had my top limb splinter on my chill x one night in the stand when I drew on a coyote. Luckily I was able to let down without incident. The manufacturer replaced the limbs within the week.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Back then the risers were cast. PSE was famous for breaking in the middle. They would pour the metal in to the mold from both ends so any bubble formed would end up in the center of the grip. I had a buddy whose bow broke in the middle at full draw, luckily not hurt, just scared, and swore off PSE. Since then bow companies machine the aluminum risers. I know Mathews forges the block to remove any bubbles and then CNC machines it.
Back in the early 90s when cast risers were still common, people around here called PSE "Point Shoot and Explode" and hardly anyone shot one. I was a teenager and thought they were joking, but maybe they weren't. The local shop that ran a 3D course sold a lot of High Country, Martin, Pearson, and Hoyt, and I saw 100s of those and never heard of one self-destructing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts