Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I decided to switch modules from the High letoff to Low letoff mods on my Evolve 35.. it was late, was tired, wasn't paying as much attention as I should. I mounted the mod, but forgot to put the rubber ended stoppers on the end of the mod. Tightened it down, and decided to give it a test draw to see what the hold weight was like.. and as I rolled over the cam,,,, POP, the cables slipped past the non existent stop end and the bow "locked " itself at full draw with the string now loose...

So basically i pulled the pin on a grenade and left it sitting on my kitchen floor. It was late, I was tired and I know I screwed the pooch on this one...

I left it inside a case in the kitchen where if something let go, the bow wouldn't hurt anything and went to bed... The next morning, I CAREFULLY hustled it into the car and gingerly drove with great care to my local shop,,, where upon entering, the owner/friend laughed saying "how did u derail that,, did you dry fire...... wait,, is that thing locked up?" I just nodded and headed to the press..


After setting it on the counter and walking away for 10 min,I removed the main string, and then was able to get it into the press w just enough tension to hold it in place,, and slowly add 1/2 a turn of the press crank at a time to loosen the cables to get the roller guard slide off..
Once that was off, it was 1/2 turns at a time until I could carefully unscrew the module and pop it off ,,,then remove the cables all the way and slowly crank the bow out until it was past the axle to axle measurement. After letting the bow sit for another 20 min,,, and giving us time to change our shorts and let our heart rates drop down, we re-strung the bow to specs and put it on the draw board after INSTALLING the module stop ends. After a few cycles on the draw board and noticed no change in set draw weight, test arrows were shot and confirmed it was as good as it was 24 hours before I dicked around with it.

Hopefully someone who reads this and gets a laugh at me crapping my pants will make them stop and think to double check their module stops on the EVO cams now that pse has 5 bows with them on... and as we saw it, a decently safe way, short of putting it in the press and cutting cables to instantly relieve pressure, to fix this problem relatively safely.

Be safe, shoot straight.. and for once,, PSE DIDN'T stand for PULL SHOOT EXPLODE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,357 Posts
Glad it turned out good. I was changing mods the other day and thinking about what a disaster it could be if one would forget about the stops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
When I first started working on my Elites, I locked the cams up a couple of times by putting too many twists in the cables. This happened with the limb stops in the cams. I use an original Bowmaster press.

I made a drawboard from 6' of 2x6 and a boat winch. Now, I put the bow on the drawboard and pull the string back about 10-12 inches and then attach the Bowmaster between the limb forks and the cams. Just snug the cables up and then relax the drawboard and do my work. When done, pull the string back till the Bowmaster cables go slack and remove them. Relax the drawboard and you are done.

I think this method is easier, quicker, and safer than using an inline press. The 6' of length allows me to put my digital scale and a large turnbuckle in line. I always take the bow to full draw after working on it. If the cams should lock up, I can relax the drawboard slightly, move the cams around till they tension the string and then fix the problem. This method works great on solid limb bows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn’t do that jim570 .. the cams rolled over the stops and the string was hanging loose and it had the limbs loaded
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,070 Posts
Friend did it once at my place while we were working on his Elite and drew it without the draw stops... Pucker factor was through the roof for both of us as we scrambled to get it in the press while trying not to let the tension off the string. After the fact, we realized there was no benefit to keeping tension on the string, it was cam'd over and locked out and if the cables slipped past the beginning of the cam track, it was going to be a dry fire/derailment anyway. 2nd time it happened, was not nearly so stressful.
It probably happens a lot more than you'd think. A very good tech and former pro told me recently that he forgot to put the draw stops back in an Elite and dry fire/derailed it right in front of the owner on the test draw.

Glad it all worked out OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,822 Posts
No fun!! Can't say I've never done that Bout filled my britches!!

Mine was on an old style 2 track binary.

Glad it all worked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,867 Posts
I was testing bows yesterday. Decided on an Xpedite. While I was trying out different bows a new scooter was testing some new bows also. Some how he locked up a bowtech. The shop guy turned pale but calmly took the bow from him and walked briskly to the press. Thankfully it worked out. All I heard was something about death grip and torque.
 

·
'13 KTM 450 SX FE
Joined
·
2,263 Posts
I did that on an Athens once, had to remove draw stops to press it and forgot to reinstall them. Pulled it back and over rotated the cams and locked them up. After that I tapped them to the grip so if you grabbed it they poked you in the hand.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top