Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get my second bow to the highest weight that I could (with a red oak board), so I basically stopped tillering when it was almost to full draw, never actually took it all the way, assuming it would weaken up just a little bit because my first one did. So I'm trying to get it back just a little farther each time until I can go all the way to full draw, but it is making some scary noises (creaks, pops). It seems like they might be getting less frequent, though... Does this sound like a major problem, or will it work itself out, maybe? It seems like the sounds are getting less frequent, and I'm able to get it back a little farther each time I shoot. If I pulled it to my full draw right now, which is about 29.5", it would probably be about #60 I guess, because it is pulling #55-56 at 28". Am I just trying to push red oak too far, or do you guys think it might work itself out?
Thanks,
Jacob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes your input is very helpful, any feedback is since I am very new... keep it coming!
This bow is actually 2 1/2" wide at the handle, because I used a "1x3" board. Also, the noises actually seem like they come from somewhere mid-limb, not at the handle. If you say it's possible to make bows that are 70# then maybe this one will be ok after all, since it is only about 60#... sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of my scale, though...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is 2 1/2" wide past the end of the fades, I didn't start narrowing the board for at least a few more inches. I didn't really round the edges on the back much... maybe that is the problem. I knocked the sharp corners off, but that was about it. (Picture like an 1/8" chamfer) Plus a little light sanding with sandpaper. Also, I did these things after putting the cloth in glue on the back. But you have to put the backing material on before tillering, right? Maybe I could've rounded the back some before I put the backing on and before I started tillering...
I don't know...

After reading about the no set tillering method, I will be doing a few things different next time. I am learning so much so quickly I don't even finish a bow before I realize I'm doing something wrong and want to start on the next one using what I've learned. It's awesome!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This bow finally blew up on me last night during target practice from a tree stand. It's really dry in my house and outside right now and I wonder if the wood being dried out made a difference...
I probably got 300 to 400 shots from it total. I'll look at it today in the light but I think the board I used just didn't have the best grain. It broke about where I thought the sounds were coming from, mid-limb on the bottom half.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts