Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Scent Blocker suit is about 10 years old. How effective is it now at eliminating odor? Does the carbon get to a point where it is no longer effective?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Once carbon is impregnated it takes extremely high heat to "clean" the carbon. Higher heat than a regular dryer can produce.
It's probably a very nice hunting suit now.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a suit that I use for just gun hunting now. I believe if you take good care of it they last about 3 season. 10 seasons more than likely is only working at 15-20%. Just for comparison plain cloths can do 10%

·
Registered Loser
10,371 Posts
Put it on and fart. If you can smell it then it doesn't work. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
274 Posts
My Scent Blocker suit is about 10 years old. How effective is it now at eliminating odor? Does the carbon get to a point where it is no longer effective?
It became ineffective at eliminating odor the first time it was exposed to air. The military uses this technology to combat biologic/chemical warfare. It comes in a sealed plastic bag. It is one time use only. Just like any carbon based suit it is one time use only.

Knowing this I still purchased Scentlok clothing. It is warm, waterproof, and durable. I use other means to control my odor as well as I can. Start with a silver Ion base layer. Scent free deodorant, wash clothing in baking soda, and various spray and cover scents.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Once carbon is impregnated it takes extremely high heat to "clean" the carbon. Higher heat than a regular dryer can produce.
It's probably a very nice hunting suit now.
Yes. You would have to expose the carbon to fire to destroy the absorbed oders. After removal from fire it immediately begins absorbing stuff. It's like a sponge, it can only hold so much.

·
Archery Addict
9,211 Posts
It will work ok. Just launder it in scent free laundry detergent designed for carbon clothes and dry on high in your dryer. Even if it isn't 100% regenerated, it is still better than nothing. I usually only keep my hunting clothes for about 3 years max before I either give it away or sell it in a yard sale. I dont use the scentlok or scent blocker carbon suits any more, but my brother does exclusively. He swears by it, and by his success I don't doubt him. Every bit of scent you can reduce or eliminate, the better your odds of success. I believe that a lot of the activated carbon actually washes out in the laundry, so after 10 years I doubt that there's much left. Put on some silver ion based base layers under your scent blocker suit and I'd bet you'd be good!

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Scent elimination is a multiple step process. Follow it, and you will be in good shape. Shortcut it and you're pay the piper;)

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
What logic is that based on? What actual proof? None didn't think so.
Based on the fact that the idea of the carbon clothing is to absorb odors right? Well it absorbs all the odors in the store and becomes full. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that out. If you havent heard buy now its been proven that a household dryer will no get hot enough to reactivated the clothing so how do you plan on getting all the odor absorbed in the clothes out so you can use it again to absorb odors? Im no scientist I will admit but believe whatever you want. Its a free country...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just a quick and dirty explanation of how activated carbon is made..for those who think they can re activate carbon in their dryers.

Organic matter is heated in the absence of oxygen to 430-900 degrees Celsius in a pressurized container containing an inert gas (ie nitrogen or argon). This is similar to making char cloth for those of you who have done that.

Then the carbonized material is heated in the 600-1200 degress celsius range and exposed to an oxidizing atmosphere.

In other words nobody re-activates carbon, When it has reached its useful threshold it is discarded. Imagine tossing the cannister on a gas mask in your dryer and expecting it to be useable again. It just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it does not work is what I'm gathering here? If you fart in it you can't smell it so it must help????

·
Registered
274 Posts
So it does not work is what I'm gathering here? If you fart in it you can't smell it so it must help????
Well it must be durable if its ten years old and still going strong. So in that regard I guess you got what you payed for.
Your best bet is to wash it in scent free detergent (baking soda is the cheapest route). After washing and drying place it in a sealed container, preferabbly with vegetation from the area you hunt. Then use a base layer with silver ion technology (also washed in baking soda). The silver ion is good technology, but if you sweat enough it will start stinking too. Your best bet for finding reasonably priced silver ion technology is from companies who sell products to runners.
I also encourage you to use scent killing sprays, unscented soaps, as well as cover scents (like the HS wafers).

However, your best bet is to pay attention to wind direction and hunt accordingly. I have friends that hunt in dirty carharts that smell like body oder/grease/and cow****. They still kill deer because they know how to play the wind.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use all that stuff and have for 20 years just surprised to see the people that don't believe in scent lok and scent blocker products. I always thought they worked well, but maybe I too got caught up in the marketing!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts