Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone tested out their northernlite outfit. i'm curious about the waterproofing ability. it uses something called rainblocker. just wondering if it's as good as gortex. thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts
Nothing is as good as goretex! You have to watch what you buy... because typically "waterproof" hunting clothes equates to a chemical treatement of the material vs. a liner that prevents the moisture from entering.

In moderate to heavy rains, the chemical treatment doesn't hold up and guess what, now you are cold AND wet! (Learned from experience two years ago!) Goretex will hold up to anything! If I had a choice, I'd hold off, save up, and buy the best with a Goretex liner rather than a "chemically treated" cloth.

·
Registered
172 Posts
scentblocker

Siefrj is right about Gortex, but most of my whole season is not in the rain, very few days, so I also have a rain suit for then. But I have gone to Scentblocker 4 years ago and did my watchings and studied up on it and found it to be way better than Scent-Lok. Glad I made the choice and increased my deer sighting 10 fold! I did it because I do 90% of my hunting on the ground, whether it be I am stalkin' & walkin, or in a ground blind, but I noticed a huge difference from spooking them to noticing them 1st. I even was upwind with a 4 point on the same very cow trail in a thornapples area and came to within 15 yards of the buck. Only because neither of us were looking down the path, we were both looking to the sides! Definitely a video cam moment. I have had bucks, 2 within seconds walk by me where I could have grabbed them but I got in tight with the pine tree only do to they were not legal to shoot, more than 4 points on a side, and they were in rut grunting. So defintely worth it. Also, it does not hurt to spray the carbon blast on the inside of your clothing too! NOT on the outside, it darkens the colors. They say spray the outside but inside is where you want to keep the scent in, that too is a bonus too to elimate scent. You have to do some tinkering around. I try to stay scent free as possible but it is so dam hard! I also learned I will never wear a ball cap! Strictly a hood now, and yes, they are warm! But like 80% of your scent if not more comes from your head region! Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I gotta agree with Siefrj. The question I would ask myself, is this money well spent?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to answer my own question robinson outdoors(scentblocker) emailed me this response. their rainblocker is a hydrophillic membrane, sewn in breathable layer that's 100% waterproof. thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts