Archery Talk Forum banner

Scent control or Wind control...?

9K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  ruffme 
#1 ·
All season long I bow hunt and I want to pick everyone's brain to see what you all do, especially for early season. I mainly hunt public land and have always used the sprays and scent control to help reduce the chance of getting busted. My theory was to get as high as possible and the deer can't smell me, however what I have come to learn is that the wind can change just as much 20' up as it can sitting on the ground. What are your thoughts? Should I focus more on scent control or say heck with it and only play the wind? I'd like to get the opinions of people that aren't getting paid to push a product and to see if how you guys hunt. I've had success for many years doing both but as hunting land gets slimmer in TN and hunter numbers increase I'd like to get an advantage and some real advice.

I found a pretty awesome Podcast where these guys interviewed two separate public land hunters and one was all about scent control and the other was only concerned with the wind. This really got me thinking about how I should go at it this season. The podcast is from Down South Hunting Podcast if anyone is interested.

#2 ·
It does not matter the measures you take in scent control preparation, if the deer is down wind of you...the deer will know you're there.

I hunt a big farm and I stay on that farm.
Scent control clothing(washed daily)
Scent wash showers (twice daily)
Scent killer Sprays
Scent killer Breath stuff/tooth paste
Rubber boots

I can literally go from shower to numerous stands in minutes....busted every time if the deer get down wind.

Play the wind, no issues.

#25 ·
Not necessarily, there are a lot of factors that come into play that determines whether a deer down wind smells you or not.
I still take my normal scent control measures, but the wind direction is always my first consideration when it come time
to decide where to hunt.

#3 ·
Why not do both? I use scent control stuff, no cover scent, high in tree most of the time and hunt the wind best I can. However in the hills of ky the winds swirl and change directions.
PS, I'm one of few on AT that believe Scentlok outer clothing helps based upon my personal expierence, said helps, doesn't make you undetectable.

#43 ·
Why not do both?
Because only one of them actually makes a difference.

I could try my absolute best to become more proficient at any activity, and simultaneously perform that activity with a screwdriver shoved up my nose. But the screwdriver, isn't ever going to help.

#4 ·
I use a little of both, but use a cover scent more often than trying to conceal my scent. I mean I spray my boots and clothes but that's about it. I tried a trick that Ben (I can't remember his last name off the podcast) and went up a tree that was about 20' up and I threw out some milkweed and I was surprised about how far it traveled down a little clearing. I then climbed down that same tree to around the 13-15' mark and it seemed to help drastically, the milkweed only traveled about 5 yards. That opened my eyes to how the wind can change so quick. I'm a believer in garment care and showering with scent free soap. I guess at the end of the day, anything we do to help reduce our presence is the way to go. I was curious as to what everyone thought and how they hunt. Heck I remember my dad picking me up in his work clothes and we would sit on the side of the hill and kill lots of deer. I'm more focused on getting away from people and trying to really find a good mature public land deer.

#5 ·
I have killed my share of deer on the ground over the years and literally been leaned up against one side of a tree and had deer eating acorns off the ground on the other. The number one defense of a whitetail is it's nose and you have to conquer the scent game in order to get up close and personal with them. I have used Scentlok for years and am a firm believer in it, I have had deer come in down wind and never suspected a thing while there have been times that I was busted as well while wearing them, with that being said, I have had far more pros than cons with Scentlok as long as I care for them the way they say to. I have different stand placements and ground blinds on my property and try to make my decision based on what the wind direction is as to where I will sit. I always use **** urine as a cover and always spray Buck Bomb Ambush on the bottoms of my boots prior to walking to my spot. One thing that some may not realize is that a whitetail is more apt to scent you long before you even get a glimpse of them by the scent trail you string through the woods on the way to your stand, choose your approach carefully and be mindful of what you rub up against.

#6 ·
Every time, no matter how much I spray or get clean I get busted - mostly by those annoying doe's. Thats why I'm wanting to get everyone's thoughts, is it worth the investment to get loaded up with scent control stuff or just keep working the wind. I really want to get far back in the woods away from people and try to take down a nice mature whitetail on public land this year...

#55 ·
I have bad luck as a hunter, but one thing that I haven't had happen in a long time is getting busted. I was taught to always hunt with the wind in my face. I have spent countless hours searching for areas to hunt and many of the spots that look or feel awesome I abandon soon as I find out the wind isn't right. I don't see anything wrong with using scent control but personally I'm not gonna blow much money on it as I haven't needed to. Honestly I don't remember the last time I was busted while in a tree stand or ground blind.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I've killed as many deer downwind as I have up wind. I use scent control measures, hunt high in the trees, and use cover scents. It works for me. It may not for you. Where I hunt in the Ouachita mountains, the wind changes directions as often as Hillary Clinton changes her stories. It's just not dependable at all. I have to do everything within my means to put the odds more in my favor. If you hunt in the flat land of the midwest where you can predict the wind direction, then you have to choose which stands to hunt based on wind direction. Here in the Ouachita's and Ozarks, it changes multiple times each morning and afternoon, unless we have a storm system moving in and that's the only predictable time concerning the wind. I choose to use both scent control and hunt the wind whenever given the chance.

#13 ·
^^^^^^ this

#14 ·
Scent control waste money, do all you can with scent control then go to the woods & have some one with a blood hound
smell one of your T-shirts & that dog will walk right to the tree you are in. A deers noise is suppose to be sharper than the blood hounds noise. 50+ years of bow hunting has proofen that to me.

#15 ·
Both- however hunting the wind is far more important than scent control. Outside of rut the 5 plus year olds are going to bust you if they are downwind. If nothing else scent control is the placebo of hunting and keeps you in the stand longer. If the wind is wrong it doesnt matter what you splashed on or paid for in clothes you need to go to the house.

#17 ·
I say wind control. I try to cover my scent to but it don't matter what you smell like they are going to know your there if the smell any thing foreign. That said I have been stalking pigs and deer a few times and had the wind change and I though they would smell me and they didn't seem to notice me. But I have been stalking and not even noticed the slightest wind change and had them blow out of there. 99% of the time they smell you ( or what your trying to cover) and they disappear. I have seen pigs smell us from probably a 1/2 mile away and take off as if we were right on top of them. But have had them smell us and take off in the brush, but circle around us and come out were the wind is in our favor. But that is rare. Just be prepared for any thing, sometimes weirded things happen.

#21 ·
Both camo AND scent control help IMO. Do they make you invisible to deer......hell no. But they help a lot and if you aren't using them you are make it harder than it has to be.

No doubt camo breaks up your outline and allows for closer encounters and no doubt scent control helps reduce the distance your scent travels. I have hunted both ways and it's a no brainer.

#23 ·
Scent control is a waste of time and money. Leave your cloths outside all season and hunt the wind. And the wind does not tell the entire story that is where many hunters make mistakes. Thermals mornings,mid day and evenings all differ. Most of us hunt vastly differing terrain. Some spots thermals will take your scent up some they will swirl your scent and some the thermals will take it down. Finding areas that take your scent up is like finding a gold mine. Playing the wind in areas thermals tend to lift your scent is really a killer spot. No pun intended. I have found in the midwest that the sides of raveenes where they start to go up hill and especially where they come to a point along a field edge tend to almost always lift your scent stream. And there are no guarantees as temps play a part in the thermal game as well. Just play the wind and pay attention to thermals as you sit different terrains and you will start noticing patterns that are in the hunters favor. No gimmicks and no short cuts are my best advice. Calls,cover scents and sprays and attractants have made many a millionaire but have been the sole reason for taking damn few trophy animals.

#24 ·
I have a regiment I have been doing and very often in hunting camp I will see animals when others do not-maybe nothing -maybe something. Anyway I was turned on to this years ago by a stack and shoot elk hunter and I have been using "Nullo" ever since. It is an internal deodorant for colostomy patients and affects your body odor and #2 odor as well. I also play the wind and have made mental notes as how game approaches depending on wind direction. Seeing game is not the problem but shot opportunity and my own skill level.

#28 ·
I hunt on a farm. It is one that has hay trucks , tractors and other implements parked in various places. I have found that the best scent cover for this area is gasoline, diesel, grease and oil. I simply dress in my favorite camo and then roll around on the shop floor where the equipment is worked on and then go hunting.........laugh all you want, it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 ·
I notice a huge difference between hunting 20' up compared to 30' to 35' up.

Hunting the wind is not reliable but I do it. Wind shifts and smaller bucks or a doe can pass through and blow once they work their way downwind.

Scent control....helps a tiny bit. I use scent free detergent, body soap, and deodorant. No matter what the deer will smell you.

The most effort I put into "scent control" is getting between 30' and 35' up.

#41 ·
Do what you can to be free of body odor and any other food or leather smells. Don't take "money" to the woods in your pocket. There is nothing there to buy. Leave your leather wallet, boots, belt etc. in the truck or at home. Just get rid of the obvious foreign odors associated with humans. Wear rubber boots......only from where you park to the tree. AND PLAY THE HELL OUT OF THE WIND!! Little or no wind lets your odors pool up around where you are. A constant light breeze will help carry extra odors away. I check the weather forecast the night before I hunt. When I get up in the morning, I check the wind forecast for the next 5 hours. The weather people are usually accurate when forecasting just a few hours ahead. If the wind is not in my favor.....I HUNT SOMEWHERE IT "IS" IN MY FAVOR!!! This always works for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.